• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Tethering support requests and information

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is applicable to Lightroom Classic.

ETAs for tethered support for specific cameras are not available.

Tethered Capture is a feature of Lightroom Classic that allows the direct connection of your camera to the Lightroom desktop environment. Images are imported into your Lightroom catalog as they are captured via the connected camera. 

New camera support for reading the raw files is generally added quickly after a camera is released by its manufacturer.  New camera support can be verified here: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Tethered support for a particular camera model normally follows a version or two after the raw file support. Adobe relies on the manufacturer’s (Nikon & Canon) SDK (Software Development Kit) to facilitate the tethering of your camera to Lightroom. The timing of the release of a manufacturer’s support via their SDK greatly affects the time to release for tethered support. In addition, Adobe goes through a rigorous process of integrating the functionality of the SDK and tests tethering before support is announced.

To see if your camera is supported for tethering on your version of Lightroom, refer to this document: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/tethered-camera-support.html

If your camera is listed, but your Lightroom version is too old, you may need to update or upgrade to enable tethering.

If your camera is not listed, and your camera’s raw file isn't supported, you would need to check with the camera’s manufacturer to see if they support tethering via their SDK. 

Note: Not all camera manufacturers or models will necessarily receive tether support.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 390 Replies 390
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really are an MVP.

Thanks for the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround is to use Sony's tethering program to capture photos and place them in a folder. Configure LR's File > Auto Import to automatically import from that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has to go with the flow. And this is, that Sony cameras are getting more and more popular. I am a photographer, who shooted all the years with canon, and I wish that I do not have to switch to capture one. but there is no other possibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too - wish I didn't have to use Capture one - apparently it's superior to LR according to many photog. friends, but it's another system to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STILL WAITING ADOBE TO TETHER SONY CAMERAS TO LIGHTROOM !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the message is clear from Adobe. They're not going to do it, or its a very very low priority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please! Why isn't Adobe offering this after years of Sony dominating camera market?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will Adobe release an update so the recently released EOS 90D can work with the tether option. For now it says "Comera not recognized" 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As another 'user' without inside knowledge- I do not know.

The 90D raw file compatibility was added in Lr-Classic v8.4, so I can only guess that Tether support might come in the next update release (next in November?- about every 3 months)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't count on it. Adobe is refusing to add tethering on several cameras. It has been a year since Nikon came out with a Z9 without tethering options. I had to swtich to Capture One to shoot tethered. Nikon's tether software sucks. Very slow. It is you only choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cameras that can be tethered with Lightroom Classic are listed at this link https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/tethered-camera-support.html

Unfortunatley, Lightroom Classic 8.4 did not include any additional camaras. Therefore, 8.3 list is still valid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...still not working with the new update I think, or do you experience something different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Canon EOS 90D, is not on the latest list of supported camera models or tether capture. No new camera models were adided in the new version upgrade LR Classic v 9.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now found the solution. 
In the Lightroom folder I have replaced both canon dll's with the newest dll's from the
canon development website download. Name DLL: EDSDK.dll and the edsImage.dll
Existing version 3.9.0.6400 Adobe in 13.11.0.6400 from Canon SDK and tethering in
Lightroom 9.1 now works with the Canon EOS 90D.
tethering.jpg

Greetings Henk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Henk,

thx for the workaround.

One question: which LR Folder do you mean?

In the system folder?

I cannot find any .dll files anywhere...

Thx for your help, best regards,

Thorsten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Thorsten
 The dll files are in Lightroom.exe folder. see Picture off my Laptop. windows 10 home.
 I would first change the name of the original and then copy the other two in there.
Map: Program Files Adobe AdobeLightroom Classic with te names of the dll EDSDK.dll and EdsImage.dll
Succes and Greet Henk
CanonSDK-LR.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Henk

Where exactly did you find the DLL-files? Can´t find them.... do you have a link? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like this link as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have managed to register with Canon Development and get the files you mentioned above. Did not work with Win 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine on my Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits Desktop.

tethering.jpg

And yes also it did not work on my Windows 10 Home Laptop, Why not??

Succes Gr henk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take that back. I have a pre-release 9.2 version and I put the files in there, but was calling up the "old" version. Works fine in all versions now. Thanks for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might add that it works on my Dell Laptop running Windows 10. Have not tried it on desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant find a way to download any files on the links.... Have registered and updated my profile etc. Please help.... This is very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines