Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon R5 CR3 Raw File Support in Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

When will LRC be updated to read new Canon CR3 raw files? Downloaded DNG converter but not able to covert as well. I think R5 CR3 raw files are not readable by any Adobe products today. I just bought R5 and it is disappointing LRC not supporting CR3 for R5 yet. This is going to be a challenge for my workflow. Please advise. Thanks.

BR,

YK

{Thread title edited by the Moderator}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Hi there,

We are happy to announce the release of Lightroom Classic 9.4 & Lightroom Desktop 3.4 which integrates Camera Raw 12.4 and now supports the Canon EOS R5 raw files.

Here's a list to the other newly added camera support in the August release: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

To update Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Desktop to the latest version, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to the app. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link below provides Adobe’s answers to the questions in the thread.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/supported-cameras.html 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one question for you all. 

How about HEIF files. As I understand it adobe supports it for the iphones since 2018. 

I was thinking of giving the format a go, and see how far it can be pushed. I am not a big fan of shooting jpeg only, but HEIF is supposed to be far better. So I was curious if I could use it predominantly until the CR3 support comes out, or maybe even use it rather than shooting raw all the time (depended on if it allows me to edit how I usually edit). 

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEIF, like JPEG, is a "fully rendered" format. It's not goint to work (anywhere near) as well as RAW for things like post-exposure white-balance and exposure adjustments.

The closest analogy I can think of is the difference between a "true" RAW video codec like BMRAW and a rendered HDR codec like ProRes Raw with a Log tonecurve. The latter gives you some extra exposure latitude for grading, but doesn't allow anything like the sort of balance/exposure edits that a true raw codec does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEIF does not replace RAW, it is meant to replace JPEG.

As to Adobe support for HEIF??

If you have the Canon EOS 5R, give it a try and find out.

If you do not, search the web for a sample, download a sample, and give it a try.

I suspect that Adobe supporting HEIF has nothing to do with the Adobe Camera RAW, HEIF not bein RAW.

Also, similar to JPEG, TIFF, GIF, PNG, this new HEIF comes under a standard, controlled by an industry group, hence, as long as the camera company's behave, the HEIF file would not be camera mfg dependant, so once LrC can support HEIF as from say a iPhone,, then probably can support from a Canon high end camera.

I did not include the ADOBE standardized DNG, as that is not strictly a raster format, and is not strictly followed by all companies creating DNG files (just a few cameras, one ir more from Leica, and one Hasabald contained in a Drone, both not begaving by Adobe standards for DNG)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.

I am aware the HEIF is a JPEG replacement and not a raw replacement. But typically for casual shooting when I get a new camera I put up with just shooting JPEG while there is no camera support. I am not a JPEG fan due to the limited DR, tonality and other PP limitations.

So I was curious if HEIF is supported since I would rather shoot it then (for now) over JPEG. 

Of course for anything a bit more critical I will still capture RAW + HEIF and wait till a LR comparability update. 

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current version of Lightroom Classic does not recognize .hif files from the R5. I just checked.

I don't understand the resistance to using the raw converter though. It's blazing fast and easy to automate. Honestly this seems like an irrational hangup to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its quite simple really. It adds more steps to a work flow. And it is particularly annoying when dealing with casual shooting. 

If I were making images for a shoot, then sure, I would capture raw, and convert them and work on them in a focused way till the work is complete. 

But at the moment, I am on vacation. With family, and outings when I have my cmaera I might take 0, or up to 50-100 shots in a day. End of the day am used to just connecting the camera to my laptop view the USB-C cable, and import them into lightroom. And rinse and repeat. It may be a week or so because I actually sit down and go through those images, to cull what is not needed. So as you can see, adding the extra step of conversion does become a pain. Especially if it will affect the ordering systems (year/date folder in LR. For casual images I don't have a need to agreesively edit them. So even RAW is overkill. But it would be nice to have the extra DR from HEIF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of those are sensible concerns, and sound like excellent reasons not to buy a camera during its first few weeks on the market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know what to tell you about the HEIF Files. I'm not necessarily attempting to convince you to shoot JPEG. But on more than one occasion users have come to the forum complaining that they have lost their camera profiles, that the only profile that is showing for their image is "Color", and they are panicked and wondering what has happened. When it has been pointed out to them that they are editing a JPEG image they are quite surprised. The point is that today's cameras do quite an amazing job with the JPEG format. I agree however, that shooting raw is preferable in many cases. But my experience has shown that shooting JPEG under many lighting conditions can produce excellent results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear David,

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it works. You can get your images into LR CC by following the you tube  link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are happy to announce the release of Lightroom Classic 9.4 & Lightroom Desktop 3.4 which integrates Camera Raw 12.4 and now supports the Canon EOS R5 raw files.

Here's a list to the other newly added camera support in the August release: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

To update Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Desktop to the latest version, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to the app. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having them open in lightroom and saying it works are TWO different things! The files in LR 9.4 are at least 2/3 stop underexposed when imported into LR and in LR10, if you can stomach working on that barely working version, not only is it half the speed of LR 9.4 it makes the computer crawl after 45 minutes of editing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon EOS R5 added to supported cameras last night, see updates for ACR, LrC, etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have tried LR Classic with new RAW 12.4 to read our CR3 files from Canon R5 but find the look to be very flat and looking nearly one-stop underexposed. Importing CR3 files from Canon R5 into LR Classic defaults to no noise reduction being applied whatsoever. I assume this was some sort of rushed first attempt for R5 RAW files translation that clearly needs improvement. We have used LR Classic for our Canon 1DX Mark II and 5D Mark IV RAW files for years without any issue - those files render beautifully upon import. What's up here?  Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Today I have updated to Lightroom Classic (9.4) as well as Camera Raw (12.4) but my Canon EOS R5 "cr3" files still invisible to LRC. If I try to import them it says "Could not read preview". Any idea? 
I'm on a Mac with 10.13.6 (High Sierra)…

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Today I have updated to Lightroom Classic (9.4) as well as Camera Raw (12.4) but my Canon EOS R5 "cr3" files still invisible to LRC. "

Do the menu command Help > System Info and verify that LR 9.4 is indeed installed. Sometimes the updater fools people into thinking they're on the "latest".

If System Info verifies you're running 9.4, upload a sample raw to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here, and we can verify that it properly imports into other 9.4 installations.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to version 10 and the files from my EOS R aren't showing up in lightroom when the SD card is in my laptop. How is this still a problem after the EOS R has been released for 2 whole years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows? Which version of the OS?

Are you using a card reader or directly connecting the camera?
Using Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer, can you see the files?
If you are getting an error message, what is the exact wording?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the new software versions required me to tick the check all subfolders for images or all images on the card when importing otherwise you have to specifically select the right folder on the SD card to find them?? This might not be your problem if you mean it will not recognise the raws but if the card looks empty showing nothing on Import find the tick box that says all subfolders.... thx M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT DOESNT! I have updated and it still says it cannot support this file! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows? which version of the OS?

Which exact version of LR? (Verify that the update actually installed.)

Are you using a card reader or directly connecting the camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like Lightroom should work with the R5, but there is significant noise when you use Lightroom, and this doesn't exist in Capture One, DPP, or Affinity Photo. It seems to just be Adobe's issue. So I contacted tech support and they said the R5 is NOT supported. 

Just be aware of this if you are planning on buying an R5. The R5 works fine with Capture One, but if you like Lightroom (I do), that's kind of a bummer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So I contacted tech support and they said the R5 is NOT supported."

Adobe support is often wrong and will say anything to close out an issue. Lightroom has supported Canon R5 raws since LR 9.4:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html 

There was a bug with the initial R5 camera profile that caused LR to display images too dark, but this was fixed in LR 10:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/camera-raw-canon-r5-raw-images-are-u... 

Perhaps Adobe support got confused by a separate issue: LR doesn't support Canon R5 .hif files (Canon uses the extension .hif for HEIF images):

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/lightroom-classic-please-support-eos... 

While it's disappointing that LR doesn't yet support Canon .hif, using JPEG instead will provide equivalent image quality (albeit at twice the sice of .hifs). 

"R5 files in Lightroom are soft and noisy."

I downloaded a bunch of R5 sample raws from dpreview.com and didn't see those symptoms. I haven't seen any similar reports in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bug reports:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom 

If this were a widespread issue, normally there would be other bug reports about this by now, given that the fixed support for the R5 was released last October.

Triple-check that you are actually running the latest LR 10.1.1 by doing the menu command Help > System Info. (LR and Creative Cloud sometimes fools you into thinking you're on "the latest").   Assuming that you are, I recommend you post a bug report in the official feedback forum.  Include screenshots of the bad image quality you're seeing, and include the original raw file by uploading it to Dropbox or similar and posting the sharing link.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines