• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon RF lenses no longer recognised

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom was updated with my RF lens (24-105mm f4-5.6L) and I was able to create a profile to apply this correction on import.

With the latest update (and possibly the one before - I didn't fully check) Lightroom does not recognise the lens, Lens Correction with the preset applied shows "none", and when I try to select manually only a selection of EF lenses is shown.

(I also noticed my old EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM lens is seen as another lens.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

The lens profiles are only available with raw images. Check whether the image you are importing are raw or JPEG. If raw, you can manually choose the correct profile then save it as the default.

More details on supported lens at Supported lenses

default-lens-profile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lens profiles are only available with raw images. Check whether the image you are importing are raw or JPEG. If raw, you can manually choose the correct profile then save it as the default.

More details on supported lens at Supported lenses

default-lens-profile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RF lens is not shown for jpg files as suggested, but is there for CR3 files. The question is why? If it is able to present EF profiles for jpg files, surely profiles are profiles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andrewm66091946  wrote

The RF lens is not shown for jpg files as suggested, but is there for CR3 files. The question is why? If it is able to present EF profiles for jpg files, surely profiles are profiles?

LR Classic 8.4 supports 99 Canon-made EF mount lenses for Raw files and 9 Canon-made EF mount lenses for jpg images, a ratio of 11:1. At present it supports 6 RF lenses for Raw. So maybe when it gets to 11 for Raw, there will be 1 for jpg.

Just kidding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Profiles for Raw are based on the assumption that no previous image alteration has been done. That assumption cannot be made regarding jpgs and in order to avoid the possibility of a double correction, few profiles for jpg are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andrewm66091946  wrote

Lightroom was updated with my RF lens (24-105mm f4-5.6L) and I was able to create a profile to apply this correction on import.

With the latest update (and possibly the one before - I didn't fully check) Lightroom does not recognise the lens, Lens Correction with the preset applied shows "none", and when I try to select manually only a selection of EF lenses is shown.

(I also noticed my old EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM lens is seen as another lens.)

See: Supported lenses

Your Canon RF 24-105 does not appear as a lens added in August 2019, nor as previous.

Are you talking about your own custom lens profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen the lens (and camera) added to Lightroom but I can't remember when. That is how I was able to create a preset.

The problem appears to be as suggested above that I was looking at jpg files.

But also as I have mentioned what is different between EF and RF profiles? How come EF profiles are still presented for jpg files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t think that all EF profiles are presented for jpegs either, but there are some EF profiles for jpeg images. These are probably not the same as the ones for raw images with the same lens.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, apparently my above info on that lens not being supported in LR Classic is all wet,

Now, I do not have that Camera, or Lens. But when I bring up an old Canon 5F Mk III image (RAW), enter Develop, I can find that lens way near the bottom if I go for a custom setup.

As to Auto, well can not test.

But for a JPEG, Fairly fouled up, When I do this for a JPEG, a lot fewer lenses are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidg36166309  wrote

Hmm, apparently my above info on that lens not being supported in LR Classic is all wet,

Now, I do not have that Camera, or Lens. But when I bring up an old Canon 5F Mk III image (RAW), enter Develop, I can find that lens way near the bottom if I go for a custom setup.

But for a JPEG, Fairly fouled up, When I do this for a JPEG, a lot fewer lenses are available.

I think you may confuse the EF 24-105 and the RF 24-105. The RF 24-105 has been supported since Lightroom Classic 8.0 (for some time it was the only RF lens that was supported). It’s on the list, but in a strange place. BTW, I could be wrong, but I assume that RF lens profiles will not show when you select an EOS-5D III image.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

wrote

I think you confuse the EF 24-105 and the RF 24-105. I could be wrong, but I assume that RF lens profiles will not show when you select an EOS-5D III image.

They can for a RAW and you select a custom one as opposed to auto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I edited my previous message a bit more. In case you did not notice; the RF 24-105 has been supported since Lightroom Classic 8.0, but it’s in an odd place in the list, so it can easily be missed.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, ws trying to respond

Odd, cannot currently edit, my Cannon is a 5D Mk III, not the mysterious 5F

And, I can use the lens profile, just not via automatic, have to select via custom, and only for RAW.

Currently working in my MACBook, and path is:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Camera RAW/Lens Profiles/1.0/CanonCanon (Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM) - RAW.lcp/

Notice the RAW part

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

davidg36166309  wrote

Odd, cannot currently edit, my Cannon is a 5D Mk III, not the mysterious 5F

You can't edit a message if you read it in your Inbox. Click on the thread name to go to the general thread and you can edit it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines