• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant delete files with LR Classic 9.4 and Catalina

Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello! I am getting this pop up saying that "the files are on a volume that does not support trash. Would you like to permanently delete them?" after I try to delete files off my Macbbook via Lr Classic running Catalina 10.15.6 and up to date Lr and Cam Raw. But even when i click permanently delete files, the images are still on my drive and in the lightroom catalogue. Help! 

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 20.33.38.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Make sure that Lightroom has permission to access your Desktop folder. Check the options as below, or add Lightroom to 'Full Disk Access'.

catalinasecurity.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Hi Anastasia, I was personally able to reproduce this.

This error happens when your Desktop folder is specially managed by macOS to be part of your iCloud Drive cloud files, so your desktop files are available from your iPhone/iPad/other macs.  Because it's in the cloud you actually don't have a real /Users/<name>/Desktop folder anymore, but Lightroom still sees one somehow, and gets confused when it's not on the same real filesystem as your Trash folder.

Your best option would be to quit Lightr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that Lightroom has permission to access your Desktop folder. Check the options as below, or add Lightroom to 'Full Disk Access'.

catalinasecurity.png

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked my privacy and it has full access. 

I am not getting the popup he is getting but on my MAC, it is only removing the photos from the collection even if I select delete photos.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting photos while viewing them in a Collection will only 'Remove' them from the Collection!

You must go to a Folder in the Folder panel and view the Library Grid to select and delete photos. Then you will get the dialog choice to [Remove- from the Catalog] or [Delete from the Hard-drive].

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the images, then go to 'All Photographs'. The images will remain selected and now you can delete them from the catalog and the disk.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This helped thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I can't relicate this under Catalina; the delete function works as expected and explained. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anastasia, I was personally able to reproduce this.

This error happens when your Desktop folder is specially managed by macOS to be part of your iCloud Drive cloud files, so your desktop files are available from your iPhone/iPad/other macs.  Because it's in the cloud you actually don't have a real /Users/<name>/Desktop folder anymore, but Lightroom still sees one somehow, and gets confused when it's not on the same real filesystem as your Trash folder.

Your best option would be to quit Lightroom, move your entire folder of photos to a better location (like /Users/<name>/Pictures/FOLDER), and then when you re-open Lightroom, you can right-click on the missing folder and select "Find Missing Folder" from the context menu.  Navigate to where you put it on your real filesystem and you should be good to go.

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 3.48.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-12 at 3.52.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank u kim! i think i will stick to having it on the desktop and going thru the extra step but definitely happy to know the other option! Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As to the files that will not go to trash, are they on an external hard drive? Is that external hard drive formatted using exFat? or FAt 32 (with a driver I assume)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you expand her screenshot and look closely at the full file path you can see the file is on her desktop.  I provided an explanation & solution above. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines