• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant eject external hard drive because Adobe runs after exiting

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having this issue? After I exit LR, I can't safely eject my hard drive unless I completely shut down my laptop. It's so frustrating that I hesitate to launch LR when I know I am working on other things that I don't want to shut down. Come on, Adobe, don't make me go back to my stand alone LR 5.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi debw45459223,

We're sorry that you're facing problems ejecting your external hard drive safely after you close Lightroom. Could you please let us know the exact version of Lightroom you're using?

Does Lightroom still run in the background after you close it? (check in the Activity monitor or Task manager to check this)

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this happens on all/other Adobe products too, notably Photoshop but probably Bridge, Premiere, After Effects and InDesign as well. These are the apps I'm using, and every time I work on Adobe software with files from an external hard drive, I can't eject the drive safely.

I noticed similar problems when controlling a screen from a server and saving images/videos directly to the server from my laptop. The controller on the server would freeze, and the whole server would need to be rebooted.

Everytime there has been a link of some sort between an Adobe software on my computer and an external server/drive (everytime I've saved an Adobe file to an external server/drive), there have been problems. Either I've had to reboot the server, force eject the drive, or reboot the computer. 

Thanks for all the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep and it's now July 2020 and still happening with several of the updated apps. C'mon, Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep it;s now November 2022. I have been begging and pleading for an answer. It only started when I set up the external drive. Not LR so much as Photoshop. I think it ruined my entire computer because now I am getting Black Screen of Death and hangs where nothing ever happened before. The software really started acting up for me with the latest updates. It's almost not worth it anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Illustrator, Photoshop even Acrobat DC.

The Fix (ish):
If you go into task manager and shut down all of the background Adobe apps including the creative cloud apps (e.g. CCXProcess, etc.), you will be able to eject your external hard drive.

This will keep you from having to shut down you computer. Still, I am paying adobe way too much money to have this irritating problem. This needs to be fixed for real. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue in March 2021.  I just upgraded to Windows 10 -- same problem as on Win 7.

Using Premiere Pro, any time I work on a project/footage on my Western Digital external hard drive, I have to reboot before I can eject.  I tried 'Sleepless In Seattle's suggestion of shutting down any Adobe or CC tasks, but that doesn't seem to work.  Starting to feel like amateur hour, Adobe, after all this time.  Had this problem for about 4 years now, through numerous versions of Premiere Pro and Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KevinB944 did you ever find a solve?  I'm using Premiere on a Mac and experiencing the same exact thing. Very frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me yesterday. I had just moved everything over to a 1TB SSD and everything seemed to be working. However, I had no choice but to force quit photoshop on exit because it would not let me "safely remove" my SSD.

Is there one computer appliction anywhere on planet earth that works the way it is supposed to? The reason I get so upset about this stuff is that I deal with this for quite literally everything. I have multiple applications, MP3 players, etc. that all require thousands of hours of trouble shooting to the point where this is literally all I do all day every day.

Developers think that we have all the time in the world to fix things that they break. It has literally been years since I have not spent 10 hours troubleshooting for every minute of work.

AND PHOTOSHOP STILL CRASHES AND FREEZES WHENEVER I TRY TO USE THE OBJECT SELECTION TOOL. THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN FIXED WITH THE LAST UPDATE AND IT STILL HAPPENS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to reiterate, I cannot just update my driver: I google this:

"
Can I upgrade Intel uhd Graphics 620?
No, because Intel UHD graphics 620 is integrated with your Intel core i3 or i5 processor. So for upgrading the graphics card you need to change your processor itself."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a preferences setting under technology previews that allows you to select "pre-2016 for older graphics drivers."

Too soon to tell if it helps that much, but it seems to be better (as long as I close bridge before photoshop and do not try to work with an SSD external). I also have not tried the dreaded object selection tool which was guaranteed to cause a freeeze up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

December 2023, still happening.  I can eject drives I'm sifting through no problem.  As soon as I open anything in an adobe application (any of 9 I have) my external drives are locked to the computer with no option to eject.  Very frustrating when going through multiple drives a day for multiple projects.

13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz

64.0 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 (+Intel UHD 770)

Windows 11 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to an ancient thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same one you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better off posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information, including system information, a complete description of the problem, and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

If the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines