Highlighted

Cant see raw files since update

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Hoping someone can help. I updated classic yesterday and now i cant view my raw files. They are kept on an external hd and now just have a ? on each thumbnail. When i open the hd and click on a raw file it says "preview does not currently support this raw file format" They are Sony files and all was well before this update. I'm working with a mac.

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Cant see raw files since update

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Hoping someone can help. I updated classic yesterday and now i cant view my raw files. They are kept on an external hd and now just have a ? on each thumbnail. When i open the hd and click on a raw file it says "preview does not currently support this raw file format" They are Sony files and all was well before this update. I'm working with a mac.

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restart your system and before you open LrC open a Finder window and make sure the external drive that holds you images is connected and can be browsed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I’ve done that and still no joy. If I look on the hd some of the raws show as the photo and some are closed. In Lr they are there but all have an ! on them and a ? In the catalogue.

Sent from my iPhone

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then the files that are Closed are Corrupted.

In another reply you made you said you tried to Re-Import one and it did not show up in the import window. That mean that LrC is not seeing that file, or the other that you say are Closed, as Image Files. that means they are corrupted.

Files of any type do NOT become corrupted all on there own. There is always a reason for that happening. That reason is a hardware failure of some type. More than likely your external drive is starting to fail.

Hopefully you have backups of your all images files and if not no is the time to make backups, Direct Copies, of the ones that are not corrupted and then get a New external drive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Thank you. Will look at that

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test, what happens if you re-import one of the same files? 

warmly/j

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time. Have tried importing a single file but the import button remains greyed out. tried selecting different destinations but the same result.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click on a folder that shows the question mark and select to show/reconnect in finder.

Where does that lead you?

btw. ... I'd be very careful with re-importing and try that with a single photo only, if at all.

Re-importing is a bad choice most of the times.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for taking the time to help. I went to finder, it lead me back into the hd and to the raw file but then it said 'no photo in selected folder'

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the ID/Name of the external drive somehow change in a way that the absolute path is no more the same?

Try to re-connect one of the folder to its current location/path (right-click ...).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Thank you will try that

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please state the version NUMBER of your Lightroom Classic. Please state the exact make and model of the camera that took these photos.

Can you see the photos in the Develop Module?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sony A7R3 & A92

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"9.4

Sony A7R3 & A92"

I specifically asked for one additional piece of information which you did not provide.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can see the photo in the develop module but it says file not found. This may be partly because I chose not to create a smart preview. My laptop hd is getting too full and old so may have to talk myself into a new 16 mac and try not to repeat all the errors I've made in the past!

I just need to calm my brain down and go back over what I did yesterday. Its always user error, at least for me!

I am attending a day next week to learn some processing techniques for landscaps so hopefully the tutor may have an answer with my laptop and hd present. Fingers crossed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines