Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog adding subfolders

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_3910.jpegIMG_3911.jpegGreetings all,

I am a relatively new user to Lightroom Classic...2 months.  I think I may have messed up something in my Catalog.  Previously, when I imported photos from my SD card, Catalog would set up a seperate folder for each date when the photos were shot...2020-06-05, 2020-06-06, etc.  Now when I import photos, instead of creating one folder for the date of the photos, the catalog is creating two additional subfolders...one for the year and another one for the date...

2020-06-07

2020-06-07.  

The the next import with be nested in this sequence...

2020-06-07

2020-06-07

2020-06-08

2020-06-09

etc.

Although it may not be a serious problem, it is something that I'm sure someone on this forum has seen and knows how to correct.  Thank you for suggestions and solutions.

Yours, Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the import screen, over on the right, look for an option concerning second copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but this was not checked.  Should it be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe your problem is with the Import Date format and folder destination.

If your option is for any Date format that includes a \ character, then you must select (highlight) the topmost parent folder and the Import will then correctly 'find' the year sub-folder for the import.

In your screen-clips you would have had a sub-folder selected which would then recreate the year folder within the sub-folder.

IMPORT DATE FORMATS

Before you activate the import you should look in the Destination panel to preview the folders where Lr will place your files.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  I will have time to look over this tomorrow.  I am hoping that this solves my issue.  I have been negligent in looking at the destination panel.  There are so many choices, I thought I had left it at default with the exception on the Destinaion Disc which is an external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Edit you post to remove the Attached screen shot and Include it in the body of the text of your post.

You do that by Clicking the "More..." link at the bottom of your post, Selecting "Edit Message" and then use the "Insert Photos" icon in the tool bar at the top of the Post/Reply/Edit dialog box like this.
2020-06-07 19_13_42-Camera Raw Brush tool problem - Adobe Support Community - 11189555.png

Your problem is related to the Date Format you have chosen in the Import dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for showing me how to insert my screen photos.

I will look at the Date Format.  I left it as default thinking this would be the best choice.  I guess I need to read a bit more on the Import defauts and choices.  Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, here's a big "Thank you" to all who read and replied to my query.  I went through everything suggested.  I am not sure which suggestion helped, but I seem to have my catalog back in order.  I also learned that Lightroom Classic can be quite finicky about SD cards concerning in-camera formatting.  My first SD card worked perfectly fine without in-camera formatting.  The second identical one, not so much.  Once formatted in the camera, all is good.  I will keep my fingers crossed and practice due diligence when importing in the future.

Thanks again,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines