• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog corrupt and cannot be repaired

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10, Lightroom 9 and tried various Lightroom 8 versions.

So when I try to open the catalog it gives me the "catalog is corrupted" error message, Trying to repair it just gives the "cannot be repaired" error message. Trying to import the catalog into a new one will try to upgrade the catalog in version 9 (which fails) or just gives a general error in version 8.

The catalog had been sitting in a folder which is also synched by dropbox, although I tried moving it to the desktop which also didn't work.

As far as I can see there are no "lock" files anywhere.

Unfortunately I have no backup. The catalog file still seems fine, same file size as before, hope someone can help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say you may be SOL (Something Out Of Luck).

Why don't you have any backups? By default LR makes a weekly backup of the catalog file.

They are normally stored in the same folder as the catalog file in a subfolder called Backups. Have you looked fort that folder? The backups are ZIP files that you must first Un-ZIP (Expand) to use them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a quite recent catalog that I used for a specific event and I left it open. When I got back to the PC Lieghtroom had crashed and the file was corrupted..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well there is a reason LR crashed. Whatever that was is the problem for the corrupted catalog.

It was some type of hardware fault that made that happen.

Do other catalogs open OK? Can you create a new catalog?

If LR crashed then a Lock file got left behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything else appears to work fine.. So I managed to rewind the file in dropbox, I will try that tomorrow, is there any way to see what version of lightroom I was using that catalog with? 

I think the file got corrupted before version 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked! I rolled back the file to the last time I closed it and now I can open it with version 8. Something in the process of crashing and updating to version 9 destroyed the file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also suggest you STOP storing your Working Catalog in the Drop box folder. If you want to make a COPY of it in that folder so it gets uploaded to Dropbox fine but to use it as the main storage location for your WORKING catalog is not a good idea, IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines