Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog Folders with 0 images - no Question Mark

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic release 9.2.1

Taking a look back into a few years worth of images and found 23 folders showing 0 images.   Knowing there were images in the folders, I opened them to find.... images, with tags, and metadata in place.  Lightroom just doesn't believe they are in their respective folders (in the catalog).  Re-importing them doesn't work because the import function finds that they already exist in the Windows Folder.   

Removing the images from the Lightroom Catalog, allows them to be "added" in the import function, but all of the tags, captions, ratings, etc. are lost. 

Tried Synchronize Folder, but that only added images that weren't in the Catalog in the first place, not those that should be appearing.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit puzzled about the exact nature of the problem. You say the folder shows zero images, but then you say "Removing the images from the Lightroom Catalog, allows them to be "added" in the import function, but all of the tags, captions, ratings, etc. are lost". By itself this is as expected (tags, captions, rating and even edits are stored in the catalog, and deleted when the picture is removed from the catalog), but how can you remove an image if the folder this image is in does not show any images? Perhaps you can post a screenshot that illustrates the problem.

P.S. Stop trying to solve a problem like this by removing and reimporting or synchronizing the folder. That is not the way to solve these kinds of problems and -as you noticed- makes you lose all the work you've done on these images.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only tried the reimporting/synchronizing on two folders with but a small number of images.  

I hope the attached image helps.   The reason you are puzzled is because it's puzzling.   The folder structure shows zero images.   Click on  (open) any of the folders shown (with zero images) and there are the images.  As an example, folder 01-22-2015 shows 0 images, but there area 127 images in the folder that appear when opened.  They all have there tags and other metadata intact.  They are searchable (i.e. can be found), editable, exportable, etc.  Just as if the the folder was not greyed out and shows 127 instead of 0.  

LR-Zero_images.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that screenshot does not help much. I know what a folder in the folder panel with zero images looks like. What I needed to see is if you do see images in the grid when you select this folder. From what you say I conclude that you do. That sounds like catalog corruption. I have seen this a few times in the past, although that was quite some time ago.

What you could try to do is the following: create a new catalog and then choose 'File - Import from Another Catalog'. For File handling choose to only add the images and not move them. This should create a new catalog that is identical to the old one, except for any publishing services you may have. See if that new catalog solves the problem.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, to clarify....   The rest of the screen shows a grid with all (scrollable) of the 127 images.   

I will give your suggestion a try.   Need a little bit of time to work on it.

Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines