Catalog issues with new mac - start over?

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see if I can articulate this in a short version. I bought a new Mac and other than iCloud and external drive stuff,  opted to "start from scratch" as opposed to migrating from mac to mac. Everything went fine - as planned I reinstalled apps I use and said goodbye to the many I didn't use. Downloaded the Adobe CC stuff I use - all good. I also use Lightroom mobile and sync across my devices.

THEN came the Lightroom Classic nightmare which I "kinda" anticipated. From an external drive I copied into the same location as the old computer, the catalog, photos and associated files such as previews, smart previews, sync, mobile downloads. Double clicked the catalog, Lightroom opened and sure enough, everything was there! I *thought*. Every photo had an explanation point. Couldn't be found. Looking at my old computer, I realized the path was different. When setting up my new computer it didn't dawn on me to name my username & home folder the same as on my old computer. 

I thought to *simply* rename my username & home folder so as to have the same path, but I'm too far *into* using the new computer and renaming at this point would cause me grief elsewhere.

Soooo: Is there something I'm missing that I should do? Or is there a way to start over with a new catalog and if so, how do I re-sync the photos on my phone? I am assuming I will literally be starting over - all my collections from before will be lost.

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oooops- *EXCLAMATION* point, not explanation. Thank you auto-correct lol...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have alook at this tutorial  http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Detailed instructions on moving Lightroom Classic to a new computer

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Follow the instructions exactly as written. Do not add in your own steps. Do not skip steps unless they clearly don't apply (like the part about moving from Windows to Mac). Should not be a nightmare, its very straightforward, I have done it twice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines