• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog locked after lightroom crash, rebuilding sync data.

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night my sync wasnt working so i attempted to rebuild the sync data within the setting. as soon as i launched the command LR crashed and it wont relaunch. the dialog box that pops up says its in use by another program, its not. I look at the catalog files and it shows theyre locked. So with that said, what now? i have backups. i do routine backups every 8hours so i could restore. not a big issue, but is there a way to recover without restoring? 

JSkeff_0-1601325765611.png

Untitled-2.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

When Lightroom is open there is a temporary file with an extension .lock (LOCK) that prevents the Catalog from use by any other user. When Lightroom is should down normally the temporary file will be removed, however if the app shuts down in the manner you experienced the lock file may remain in place. Delete the .lock file then you can double click on the Catalog File with the .lrcat (LRCAT) extension and that should boot Lightroom and open the Catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom is open there is a temporary file with an extension .lock (LOCK) that prevents the Catalog from use by any other user. When Lightroom is should down normally the temporary file will be removed, however if the app shuts down in the manner you experienced the lock file may remain in place. Delete the .lock file then you can double click on the Catalog File with the .lrcat (LRCAT) extension and that should boot Lightroom and open the Catalog.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Denis. I'll give it a shot and report back. If that works i guess the bigger question is why the crash when attempting to rebuild the sync data.

Jarett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just renamed the back to a .bak and it launched. and it seems to be fine now. the big question is to why it crashed when i rebuilt the data and locked it all up.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are lots of issues reported with syncing between LrC, Lr (cloud-based) and Lr Mobile apps, it would be interesting to know which apps we're involved with your issue.

Crashes like what you report can be caused by malfunctioning drivers, problems with hardware components, hdd, ram, etc. Not necessarily software related.

The issue with the .lock file is that when the crash occurred there was no opportunity for the temp file to be removed and as the message says the app recognizes its presence. If you had lost power on the computer the same thing would have happened.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only 2 apps i use is LrC and Lr Mobile for my iphone7+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only additional thing that might cause a  sync problem would be unsupported files e.g video, and tiff / PSD files not saved with max compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines