• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog wants to update everytime I open Lightroom Classic 9

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 10 and updated to Lightroom Classic 9. Every time I open lightroom I get the message that Lightroom wants to update my catalog. I have gone to preferences and tried the option to open the latest catalog and that did not work, I tried pointing to the correct catalog and used the checkbox to always use this catalog and that did not work. I also get the splash screen every time I open lightroom welcoming me to a new version both are very annoying. please help!!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be time to use the Adobe CC Cleaner tool to wipe your system of all Adobe software then reinstall.

Or you could try just uninstalling LR Classic then reinstalling that.

Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I am willing to try that, I am in the middle of editing a wedding, so I need to finish that and make sure everything is backed up, then I will give it a try. I can live with it, for now, just annoying for sure!  Thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your preferences, general tab. Most likely a specific catalog (the old one) is set as the catalog to open. Change this to 'most recent', or to the upgraded catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have and I pointed it to the new catalog, but every time I go into lightroom it wants to update and create a new catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll state an obvious solution now - if not done already. Uninstall version 9 and use the previous version and complete your project. When that is done and dusted, and you have no other important projects, upgrade to version 9 and upgrade your catalogue, and then you should be away laughing. It is always recommended, especially if you have an important project, not to upgrade halfway through for this very reason!

Maybe this will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Johan. To me also it sounds like the 'old catalogue' is set as the default to open.

Have you actually updated your current catalogue to work with Lightroom Classic 9?

Obviously, make sure you have backed your catalogues up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences is the first thing to try in cases such as this.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, simply checking your preferences first is much better than resetting them.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So many problems are fixed by resetting preferences that it is as close to a panacea as you can get in Lightroom land though. In this specific case you are probably right but if it is set to most recent catalog there than resetting the prefs is a good next step before contemplating wiping the entire installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Johan - first review the Preferences carefully. Preferences is mainly a panacea on Mac, rarely on Windows. And I don't think there's any need to wipe the installation.

It does look like LR's preferences are set to open an old-version catalogue.

With LR closed, in Windows Explorer identify your catalogue and double click it. This will restart LR with that catalogue. Then review the Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was reacting to the top reply which suggested wiping with CC cleaner which is a bit rash. I have helped countless windows users on this forum that only got solved after resetting preferences after lots of troubleshooting first. I don't think this is a Mac specific thing therefore. Prefs are set back to where you want them so quickly that resetting them is a great early troubleshooting step and my experience is that the overwhelming majority of users never touch them anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree about "rash" but disagree about Windows / Mac to the extent that I wouldn't describe resetting them as a cure-all on Windows. They're more of a quick way to get back to default settings, which might help a user in a rush, rather than the only way to root out mysterious behaviour thanks to Mac preference file corruption. Fortunately LR doesn't seem to use the Windows registry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Lightroom keeps opening the old catalog, then there is a very high probability that the preferences simply point to that old catalog. Change that and you're done. No need to do anything else, like resetting the preferences.

Immediately resetting the preferences rather than first simply checking this preference setting seems a bit overreacting. Like buying a new car because the ash tray is full. Yes, buying a new car does give you an empty ash tray, but emptying the ash tray is what most people would try first.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Supposedly the OP has already Set the Preference to Open the New, Updated, catalog. Whether they have actually set the PATH or just selected "Load Most Recent Catalog" in the Default Catalog section I don't know.

Personally I have always selected "Other", browsed to the drive/folder that holds my catalog and select it. So mine reads thre Complete PATH to the catalog file I want LR to use everytime I start LR. Been doing that for years and never had any problems with LR opening the wrong catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please excuse me if this has been asked, and answered

Instead of opening Lightroom by clicking or double clicking on thee icon, find your last catalog, and double click on it. Whst happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines