Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog with image from various sources

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand where my post have gone, so here again :

I want to have the same piczures in 2 differents catalogs and in 2 differents folders without changing the folder name on the disk :

CAT-A

Folder : 03-12345

Pictures : 12345-01

12345-02

12345-03

CAT-B

Folder : Kodak Tri-X 400

12345-02

12345-03

on the disk :

12345-02

12345-03

I try Symlink but it doesn't works, Lightroom see the pictures at the import windows but that's all after importing the pictures are not there !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Is there a specific reason why your goal requires a second catalog?

Could your goal be achieved by using a single catalog with Collections?

The problem with what you are doing is that the Folders panel always represents the actual state of your local storage. The name of the folder in Lightroom Classic is always the same as the name of the folder in the file system, because all Lightroom Classic does in the Folders panel is show your storage. But Collections are sets that do not have to be tie

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Yes - as I mentioned early on in this string  - Collections should work for what you are trying to do.

Okay - let's assume that you've imported your images into CAT-A and you want a subset of this shoot to be used only for testing purposes... Is there a reason that you can't use a collection for this? What is the value of having a separate test catalog? Using collections will allow you to work with virtual copies and will not increase the amount of storage space. There are other benefits as we

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using Virtual Copies to accomplish this? Can you give some background on what and  why  you need the same photo in  two  locations with different  folder names?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Can you give some background on what and  why  you need the same photo in  two  locations with different  folder names?"

Lets say the main Catalog : CAT-A is a full catalog with all the pictures I made

The CAT-B is only a catalog for testing films

But I want to include the pictures that are in my CAT-B in the CAT-A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - let's assume that you've imported your images into CAT-A and  you want a subset of this shoot to be used only for testing purposes... Is there a reason that you can't use a collection for this? What is the value of having a separate test catalog? Using collections will allow you  to work with virtual copies and will not increase the amount of storage space. There are other benefits as well. Again looking for information on your reasoning to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know what Symlink is, things about Lightroom,

a. Lightroom Classic is a single user application.

b. Lightroom Classic can create multiple Catalogs however, you can only have one opened at any point in time.

Please provide info on what you are trying to achieve? Are you using multiple computers?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want some pictures to be shown in 2 Catalogs

I can import the pictures in the 2 catalog BUT they will appear in their respective folder that are phisicaly on the Disk.

I want them to show in folders with diferents names in the 2 catalog 

The problem if I "only" import them in the 2 Catalogs, and if I rename their respective folder in the CAT-A, the name of the folder on the disk will change : I don't want that

A Symlink : symbolic link is a kind of Alias (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folders you see displayed, in the Library Module just mirror the Real Folder in our operating system. So if you change the name in Lightroom then the folder name in your operating system will change. Your original files are in your computer system, they are not physically within your Catalog file. The Catalog file is data base of info about the image file, their location and the work you have done.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same folders and same photos, in two different LR catalogs, not a good idea. This is bound to cause problems in the future. Furthermore, if you edit the photo in one catalog or modify the metadata in one catalog, the other catalog will not reflect the changes. Seriously, you need to re-think this.

CAT-A

Folder : 03-12345

12345-02

12345-03

CAT-B

12345-02

12345-03

If I am understanding this, you want Lightroom to reflect different folder names in the two different catalogs for the same folders/photos on disk? This is simply impossible in Lightroom.

If you want somehow to separately identify, folders is not the way to do this. Lightroom offers many different tools to allow you to identify photos differently, based on whatever reasoning you might have. Keywords will do this for you. If, instead of what your wrote about folders, you identify via keywords, all of this is possible in Lightroom.

Please abandon your attempt to use folders with two separate catalogs this way with Lightroom. This is impossible Use keywords or other metadata in one catalog. This is easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If I am understanding this, you want Lightroom to reflect different folder names in the two different catalogs for the same folders/photos on disk?"

That is exactly what I want to do 🙂

I'm pretty sure it can be done using symbolic link ? but you right editing the pictures will be a problem 

Maybe I will follow your advice and think about another way to do that !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure it can be done using symbolic link ? but you right editing the pictures will be a problem

The name of the folder shown in Lightroom must match the name of the folder (and must match the full path as well) in your operating system. So, I don't see a way how symbolic links would help here.

But even if you can find a way to make that work, there are still other problems in having the same folder/photos in two different catalogs, and there are still far superior ways to organize using Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a specific reason why your goal requires a second catalog?

Could your goal be achieved by using a single catalog with Collections?

The problem with what you are doing is that the Folders panel always represents the actual state of your local storage. The name of the folder in Lightroom Classic is always the same as the name of the folder in the file system, because all Lightroom Classic does in the Folders panel is show your storage. But Collections are sets that do not have to be tied to any storage organization. You can create a completely separate hierarchy of Collections. They let you create any number of alternate file organizations, named any way you want, that never disturb the actual organization of your local storage. Not only can a Collection contain images from any folder, an image can be a member of any number of Collections. This makes Collections perfect for projects, testing, slide shows, etc.

You could try this, based on your example:

On the disk :
Folder: Kodak Tri-X 400
Pictures: 12345-01
12345-02
12345-03

In one Lightroom Classic catalog, in the Folders panel:

Folder: Kodak Tri-X 400 (this must match the disk, always, since the Folders panel simply represents your disk)
12345-02
12345-03

In the same Lightroom Classic catalog, in the Collections panel:

Collection: 03-12345
12345-02
12345-03

And creating that Collection would take only a few seconds. Right-click the Kodak Tri-X 400 folder, and choose "Create collection Kodak Tri-X 400". The Create Collection dialog box appears; in there rename that new collection to "03-12345" and click the Create button. You will now find that in the Collections panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Conrad_C

I think the solution is indeed the use of Collection, I will think about it

Best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes - as I mentioned early on in this string  - Collections should work for what you are trying to do.

Okay - let's assume that you've imported your images into CAT-A and you want a subset of this shoot to be used only for testing purposes... Is there a reason that you can't use a collection for this? What is the value of having a separate test catalog? Using collections will allow you to work with virtual copies and will not increase the amount of storage space. There are other benefits as well. Again looking for information on your reasoning to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines