• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog working together with synology NAS and saving editing settings - Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Introduction:

Hi all!

I need some help to find the best possible way, for my original files on my NAS drive to connect with a Lightroom catalog on my PC. 

File setup and workflow:

My current workflow is:

- Import the photos of the day

- Use Adobe Bridge to select the ones i want to save

- Then backing up the photos (raw) to my NAS

- Start editing the photos in Lightroom classic

- Then I export the images, and uploads them to my NAS

- Deletes the photos from the PC

My file structure on the NAS is: Photography(main folder), 2020(or other years, and a folder for Lightroom presets, and i the future catalog backups), Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4(time of year), And then a folder called "RAW" and "Edited/jpg".

This works really well because i know when and what time of the year i shot the photo. And I can easily find the image I'm looking for. 

The acctual problem:

The problem is that I can't save my editing settings from lightroom, since the photos from lightroom dissiapears when I delete the photos from my PC. So i bassicly only use lightroom for editing, and not the organization. I often just remove the images from the catalog since "file not found". So I can't save the editing settings. And I end up with a empty catalog everytime i start a new project. 

I thought that if I just made my catalog look directly onto my NAS then it wouldn't be a problem, and I would be able to backup directly to it. But then lightroom will just be to slow I think?! 

The question specified (-:

Is there ANY way that I can have a catalog on my PC that can point to the "photography" folder and look inside all of the other folderes. And still being able to look in my "images" tap on my PC (Where I'm currently: selecting, editing and uploading from) so that lightrrom kinda works with both my PC and my NAS so that I can see all of my edits on ALL of my photos that I have shot. And still being able to edit from my PC in the same catalog? And lightroom should somehow also detect that the images have been moved to the NAS and deleted from the "images" tap on the PC.

I hope there's anyone who can help me with this problem, it gives me a headache, ahah. I'm also completely open for any other advise for other ways to use the NAS with lightroom (-:

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the photos from the PC is the problem.

You want to put the photos directly on the NAS (not on the computer internal drive) straight out of the camera, then there's no need to delete the photo, and so LightrooM Classic doesn't lose the photos or the edits.

If you feel you MUST move the photos from the internal drive, then don't put them on the internal drive in the first place. Streamline your workflow and eliminate problems. I can't emphasize this point strongly enough.

If the photos are still in your LR catalog, you can point LR Classic to the new location on the NAS. Or you can move the photos from the internal drive to the NAS in a manner that LrC doesn't lose track of them. http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm But really, don't put the photos on the internal drive. Don't.

I am concerned from your description that if you only have the photos on the NAS, that you don't really have backups of the original photos, you actually have one copy of the original photos and zero backups. You might want to think this through more carefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thank you for your reply!

The reason that I don't have an "extra" back is because the NAS automatically backups the storage to other drives. So if the drives crashes, the drives will have a backup to restore the missing files. But yeah if my house burns down then I got a problem😅 

The only reason I don't edit directly from the NAS is because my internet connection is pretty bad😂 I gotta work on that! 

Thank you for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason that I don't have an "extra" back is because the NAS automatically backups the storage to other drives. So if the drives crashes, the drives will have a backup to restore the missing files.

This is good!

The only reason I don't edit directly from the NAS is because my internet connection is pretty bad

Do you mean your network connection is pretty bad? Even so, this should not affect edit speed, other than the initial loading of the photo into the Lightroom Classic Develop Module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that's the problem. The photos will not be able to load fast enough. But im currently trying to fix the network connection (-:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As DJ point out, moving the files is the root of the problem. Ideally just put them where you want their final location to be.

That said, the simple fix is to tell LR where you move the photos to after you move them using the "relocate folder" or "find missing folder" commands in the Folders panel. See the link in DJ's post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines