Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalogue corrupted

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I have a corrupted catalogue in my lightroom 6.14 running on my iMac 10.14.6 (Mojave). As I did not take regular backups (at least can't find recent ones) I seem to have lost everything since February.

When I try and open my catalogue it says it needs to be repaired but when I try to repair it, it fails and it tells me to contact tech support. I did and they did help me to uninstall and reinstall LR but to no avail.  

Any help would be very much appreciated because I am at my wit's end 😞

best

Bart

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a recent Time Machine backup? If you do you may be  able to  go back to the point just  before the file became corrupted. You don't  have to touch  anything  else in the TM backup, just locate Lightroom backups  from  there. If you are currently making backups  to  your local drive you may want to consider changing to an external hard drive or Dropbox or Creative Cloud  folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cmgap,

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I do not have Time Machine. I think one of the leesons I learned is that I should do more back-ups. I actually have a nex external hard disk standing here unpacked that I was going ton install. I just haven't found the time to do it which I now sorely regret. 😞

ah well, live and learn 🙂

Bart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your images are not in the catalog, they are in folders on your computer. So if you have a backup from February then you can restore that backup and start working again from that point. I know, a lot of extra work but at least you can do that. On the main page of this forum if you are working on the computer, there is a link to provide product feedback. If you express your problem there, someone might offer to look at your catalog and try to repair it. I don't know. Unless there is a way to repair the catalog, starting from that February backup seems to be your best alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

thanks for your reply. I think you are right and I'll have to recreate everything I did from February. In a sense I am lucky because I exported quite a number of them and keep those in a seperate folder. they are only half the size or smaller but at least I know what to work towards 🙂

The guy from techsupport directed me to this page to post my question but I didn't know this wasn't the main page. I'll see if I can find it and repost there.

thanks for the feedback. I did feel a bit depressed today but I might start rebuilding from tomorrow.

Best

Bart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw, I don't really see what you mean with 'main page'. I can't post to the page calles 'Adobe Support Community'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring to that page that lists all the discussions. On the right-hand side there is a link to provide product feedback. That is the link I am referring to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do know that by Default LR wants to create a backup of the catalog every week and or the next time it is opened if it hasn't been for over a week. You can also change that to make a backup every time LR closes.

I suggest you start doing that, making some type of backup and not Skipping them.

Also do NOT store them in the same folder as the Working catalog file, or even on the same drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why users don't have Lightroom configured to have the catalog backed up at least on a weekly basis. I have found that the only time I need a backup is when I don't need one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I have come to that relaisation now myself 🙂

anyways, I am rebuilding the catalogue, reimporting everything and one good thing I notced is that all the pictures I worked on in photoshop and then stored in LR as TIFF are still as they were, even with star ratings. as those were the best anyway, the loss is not as great as I feared. all the 'normal' ones will have to be reworked though. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines