CF Express card Import issues

Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently started using CF Express cards (with USB card reader) and LR Classic seems to treat them differently from the CF and SD cards I've used previously:

1. LRC no longer remembers my last-used Import Preset (please note: bottom of Import dialog, NOT "metadata preset"). Unlike CF or SD cards, I have to re-select this every time.
  2. It also doesn't pre-highlight the newly-inserted card on the left side (Source) panel of the Import dialog. I have to manually click on the drive letter for the CF Express card. 
  3. Once highlighted, it doesn't see any subfolder of the CF Express card (unlike CF or SD). I have to manually click the "Select Subfolders" button every time.
  4. Finally, the option to Eject when finished is not available for CF Express cards.

Besides just being annoying - these differences are making my import workflow slower and more error-prone. 

Basically, I think this is all due to Windows 10 seeing the CF Express card as a removable Hard Drive - NOT as a memory card. I will continue to research this issue on the Windows side. In the meantime - any workarounds on the LR Classic side?  Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

CF Express card Import issues

Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently started using CF Express cards (with USB card reader) and LR Classic seems to treat them differently from the CF and SD cards I've used previously:

1. LRC no longer remembers my last-used Import Preset (please note: bottom of Import dialog, NOT "metadata preset"). Unlike CF or SD cards, I have to re-select this every time.
  2. It also doesn't pre-highlight the newly-inserted card on the left side (Source) panel of the Import dialog. I have to manually click on the drive letter for the CF Express card. 
  3. Once highlighted, it doesn't see any subfolder of the CF Express card (unlike CF or SD). I have to manually click the "Select Subfolders" button every time.
  4. Finally, the option to Eject when finished is not available for CF Express cards.

Besides just being annoying - these differences are making my import workflow slower and more error-prone. 

Basically, I think this is all due to Windows 10 seeing the CF Express card as a removable Hard Drive - NOT as a memory card. I will continue to research this issue on the Windows side. In the meantime - any workarounds on the LR Classic side?  Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 29, 2020 0
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having trouble with CF Express Card and Reader (both Sandisk) on my MAC (OS 10.15.7)

I cannot use the Import from Camera tab, as the CF Express Card is not found.

The CF Express Card is used in a Nikon Z7 Camera, and it is found using the Nikon Software which does open and allow me to copy the files manually. Thus making for additional tasks in my workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry you're having trouble seeing your CF Express card - but your issue has nothing to do with mine. My issue is that Windows 10 considers a CF Express card to be an "external hard drive", not a "memory card" - which in turn alters the LRC import workflow drastically.

I respectfully request that you start your own thread for your issue, rather than piggybacking on mine. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note - I understand my thread subject is somewhat generic. Believe me, I would have changed it weeks ago to be more specific. Except that Adobe has DISABLED our ability to edit our own posts here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with Sandisk Extreme 128GB CF Express Card and Sandisk Card reader on Mac 10.15.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020). Card formatted in camera. It mounts as a hard drive and I even get asked if I wanted to use it for Time Machine Back Ups. LR experience same as Jimre3. Anyone discovered a solution to this? I've contacted Sandisk but no joy yet and so far they don't seem to be aware of the issue. Given how many people must have bought the Canon R5 and Nikon Z7 this year I'm surprised it is not being more widely reported. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2021 0
Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would seem to confirm this is the same issue on both Windows and Mac. It's an operating-system level problem on both platforms - that CF Express cards are being recognized as regular hard disks, not memory cards. Which in turn results in undesired behavior in apps like Lightroom, where the Import process is tuned for memory cards, not hard disks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 08, 2021 1
Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issues. using prograde cfexpress card and prograde cfexpress card reader on macOS Big Sur 11.1. has anyone been able to find a fix for this yet?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2021 0
Jimre3 LATEST
Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given this seems to be the same issue on both Mac and Windows - I'm guessing this will have to be addressed somewhere deep in the Intel chipset/controller driver. I'm starting to doubt if there's any app-level workaround for Adobe or others -  I'm afraid it may take a system hardware driver/firmware update to recognize CF Express as a removable device.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2021 1