• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing computers - Install LR5 on M1 Macbook

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom 5 loaded on an old windows machine. 

I have bought a MacBook Air with M1 chip.

When I try to download Lightroom I get the message 'installer no longer available'.

Should i give up and buy a new version of Lightroom?

Thanks for your help, Colin Hardy

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum & thread renamed by Moderator} 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

You will not be able to install LR5 on the Big Sur OS....the installer is 32-bit, and only 64-bit apps can be installed on that OS.

Your only Lightroom option would be to take out an Adobe subscription, of which Adobe offers two types: the Photography Plan, which includes Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Lightroom (the "cloud" version) and 20GB of cloud storage, or the Lightroom Plan, which includes the cloud-based version of Lightroom and 1TB of cloud storage. Both plans also include the option

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not be able to install LR5 on the Big Sur OS....the installer is 32-bit, and only 64-bit apps can be installed on that OS.

Your only Lightroom option would be to take out an Adobe subscription, of which Adobe offers two types: the Photography Plan, which includes Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Lightroom (the "cloud" version) and 20GB of cloud storage, or the Lightroom Plan, which includes the cloud-based version of Lightroom and 1TB of cloud storage. Both plans also include the option to install the Lightroom Mobile app on multiple smartphones and tablets.The monthly subscription cost for each plan in the same.

If subscription software is not to your liking you will need to switch to a non-Adobe solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very helpful resply and I now understand the problem, manty thanks for your help, Colin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry another question:

I intend to download the trial of the Photography Plan, which includes Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, Lightroom (the "cloud" version) and 20GB of cloud storage.

Should I first delete all my earlier folders Lightroom 5 Catalog.Ircats, previews, and journals which I have transferred to my new computer along with all my raw photo files.

Or will the new version of Lightroom be able to use the catalogs and open my photos?

Thanks for your time, best wishes, Colin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You definitely need to keep all the old files.

The first time the LrCat file is opened by the new version of LR, your old data will be migrated to a new catalog supporting the new features. (The old catalog will remain unchanged.)

Depending on where you placed your old photos on the new computer, you may need to use the "Find missing folder" feature in the Folders panel to update the location of the upper-most folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently tried to reinstall LR v 6 directly from Adobe using the
serial number on the Adobe site - and each time I tried to install I
got a message that the serial number was invalid. I also had tried,
several years ago, to install v6 onto a new laptop and when I reached
out to Adobe support all they would say is they don't provide support
any longer. Since I didn't absolutely need it on the laptop, I just
let it go, but I've got to have it on the desktop. So, I just
resentfully bit the bullet and forked over money for a subscription,
since I would rather part with my money than learn a new way to deal
with my photos after so many years of using LR. I would feel
marginally better about it if they were just honest about it instead
of having their website pretend that I can download and install
something that clearly I cannot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you purchased the subscription, did you download Lightroom v10 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After recently getting an M1 max, I found after numerous tests including migrations and new system installs that LR5 could be installed off the installer DVD and it would launch, but each time ran like molasses after running normally for a short period. This appears to be the same issue as running LR5 on my i9 iMac when I stupidly "ugraded" from Catalina where it ran well, to Big Sur where it essentially broke. It reportedly runs on Monterey (probably on Intel) so I will attempt to downgrade from Big Sur on the iMac. So far it's a bust on the M1 max with Monterey even though it can be installed and launches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines