• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the location where Ligthroom Classic stores the Previews folder

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want my catalog in the Dropbox folder, and my previews outside the Dropbox folder. Since the previews can be regenerated, there is no need to have them in Dropbox.

Is this possible ? Is there a way to store the previews folder (e.g. Lightroom Catalog-v10 Previews.lrdata) in a different directory than the catalog file (e.g. Lightroom Catalog-v10.lrcat) ?

Thanks !

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

I think this should be the correct command:

mklink /D "Lightroom Catalog-v10 Previews.lrdata" "E:\Lightroom Catalog-v10 Previews.lrdata"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I am aware the previews must reside in the same folder as the Catalog file. The preview file are Catalog specific.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can look up Symbolic Link, which will allow the previews to be elsewhere, but there can be a loss of performance when you do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your suggestion and set up a symbolic link using

mklink "Lightroom Catalog-v10 Previews.lrdata" "E:Lightroom Catalog-v10 Previews.lrdata"
mklink /D "Lightroom Catalog-v10 Previews.lrdata" "E:Lightroom Catalog-v10 Previews.lrdata"

Unfortunately both ways of setting up the symbolic link resulted in the same message below when I start Lightroom Classic, once, twice, ...

RandomPhotographer_0-1613427305377.png

Somehow, the symbolic link is not transparent to LR Classic !?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic does follow symbolic links, or at least it did. I am not a Windows expert (I use Mac) but I'm pretty sure the target in your link command is not correct. You missed the backslash in the target path, so your link points at something that does not exist. See: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this should be the correct command:

mklink /D "Lightroom Catalog-v10 Previews.lrdata" "E:\Lightroom Catalog-v10 Previews.lrdata"

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Johan and DJ. I added the missing \ and it now works like a charm !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines