• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing white balance causes different results on nearly identical images

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot long exposure time lapses of the night sky, never encountered this problem before.  Shot with a Canon 6D all settings in manual, including white balance.

After importing a batch of RAW images I adjusted the color temp from 3000 to 4500 and synched to apply the change to all photos.  Most of the images look correct, however random images throughout the batch have a totally different color to the sky, almost turquoise instead of blue.

Can't wrap my head around what is happening... the images are essentially identical in every way.  Why am I getting such different results?

thanks in advance for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be useful to have access to download one of each to examine. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mwi1zr31t1n3twr/AAAN0wEd1U_ynS6Yteaweo2ya?dl=0

After playing around a bit I noticed the color differences really become apperent when I raise the exposure, drop the blacks, and apply a little dehaze.  But if I don't change the color temp, I can change all other perameters without getting the unusual color differences.  Also realized these were shot on a Canon M6, not a 6D, if that matters.

thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tough image to WB due to the lack of anything that's not very light but not a specular highlight. But I did zoom in to 11:1 (massive enlargement) and tried WB on one of the stars for each. I got the same results. 

Try picking exactly the same spot, with a big zoom ratio otherwise the WB tool may be sampling differing areas and producing differing results. Anyway:

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 5.00.35 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-07-29 at 5.00.48 PM.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.  If I'm not using the white balance tool and manually setting the temp value, would this still cause lightroom to sample the image differently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure, sorry. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, thanks for trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines