• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choose second display location 3 monitors?

Participant ,
Aug 09, 2009 Aug 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm despriately trying to figure out a way to display the lightroom secondary display on my monitor to the right of my main display.  I'm working in Windows 7 RC which seems to have the same monitor properties as Vista.  No matter what I do Lightroom will always choose the display to my left as secondary, I've even tried physically switching my cables for the monitors and it still figures out which display is on the left and displays it there.  Is there any way to pick which display is secondary?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 10, 2009 Aug 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if I have an answer for you since I am working on Mac, but I do use 3 monitors. I know that if I choose WINDOW>SECONDARY DISPLAY and deselect FULL SCREEN, I can drag the window to my right monitor and resize it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"choreo,

Aug 10, 2009 12:45 AM   in reply to rsmith4321

Not sure if I have an answer for you since I am working on Mac, but I do use 3 monitors. I know that if I choose WINDOW>SECONDARY DISPLAY and deselect FULL SCREEN, I can drag the window to my right monitor and resize it."

Thanx Choreo, about 4 years later of you posting this advice, on Windows 7 64 bit this trick works for me too! By Alt-clicking the full screen preview window scales down, after which I could drag it to the other preferred monitor (I also have a tripple monitor set-up, one of which is the big Wacom Cintiq 24HD).

This really helped me!!

Of course if Lghtroom could just let me choose and pin what I want to appear on which monitor would really help me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also works for windows users. It's not exactly what we want but it works OK. The key here is if you are using "Full Screen" on the Secondary Monitor. In my case Lightroom CC Classic wants to use my monitor 3 as secondary. If I change the secondary monitor (right click on two silly) to turn off "Full Screen" mode. I can move the Preview to my UHD 4K monitor 1. Then you have to use up/down left/right cursor arrows to drag the window open as large as you want it to be.

Lightroom remembers what you have done between sessions. So now secondary monitor "Full Screen" is still monitor 3, but when I deselect "Full Screen" it will open the Preview window on my monitor 1 to the size I last set it manually.

In my case I opened it to almost full screen to give me a little room in case I have something behind it I want to grab.

Using shift F11 I can toggle between both monitors, so not too shabby as a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it the same as Vista and XP, in Display Settings drag the monitor icons into the order and position  you want them and select which one you want as the main and which as the extended. LR will open on the main.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom opens the 2nd monitor on the Right normally, so this might dictate where you can place the 2nd screen.. e.g. if you drag Lightroom onto the 3rd monitor, and open the 2nd screen, it'll appear on the 1st monitor.

(or at least this is the way it used to be!)

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions.  I should describe my setup better.  I really need Lightroom to be on the center monitor, it's my really high quality one. I have a monitor on the left and the right of my main.  When clients are looking at the pictures, the setup of my office I really need to be able to open the secondary display to my right.  It's funny you say that Lightroom always opens on the monitor to the right, it's always to the left for me.  I just can't understand why there isn't a setting somewhere to choose which display opens the secondary view.  I know I can make the second display not full screen and drag it to the monitor I want, but then if I select full screen it pops back over to the left.  I guess not using full screen mode will have to be my solution, it just doesn't look as good.  I wonder if there is a registry tweak or something that would change Lightroom's default behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second screen opens to the right of the main screen. If you move

the main program, the other screen should move to the right again.

Why isn't there more control? Same as all features in Lightroom: time!

2ND monitor was a big request for version 2, so they opted to put in

basic support, rather than leave it out altogether. Local corrections

were a huge task to implement from what I can gather, so it might have

been dropped altogether. Fortunately not.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't really complaining, it just seems like it would be such an easy fix, I thought there must be something.  Especially since mine always opens on the left no matter what I do.  It almost seems like there could be a setting in the registry somewhere or something.  Or maybe even in Windows itself that says this is monitor 2 and this is 3.  Under my display properties my monitor to the left is always number 2 no matter what I do and the one of the right is 3.  Maybe they can implement this in a future update hopefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The monitor numbers of 1, 2, and 3 are based on physical connectors on the

back of your computer and do not change. You can designate any of these

three to be your primary monitor. From your description, it sounds like you

have set this to be the center one, which makes sense for ergonomic reasons.

What I'm not sure about from your description, because I don't have 3

monitors to test myself, is whether LR always picks the left hand one based

on how you've physically drug things around in Display properties, or if LR

always picks the lowest numbered one that it's main window isn't already on.

If the former, then you're out of luck, if the latter than just physically

change places with the left and right monitors and re-drag the order in

Display properties so your mouse will work, again.

In other words, if LR's main window is always on 1, then does LR always

display the secondary window on 2 or the one that's to the left of the main

window based on mouse-drag sequence?

Since you say it's always to the left, and Sean says it's always on the

right, then I think there's hope, without you having to put LR on the

leftmost monitor like you've done....just exchange cables OR monitors, but

not both.

BTW, it might also have to do with which monitor your start/task bar is on,

which you can change by unlocking it and dragging it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, I figured out a way to do it.  It's still not the best because if you do anything that makes lightroom lose focus it will revert back to the default monitor.  But at least in Windows 7 if I put lightroom's main window on my monitor on the left so the second display in where I want it to be over on the right, then drag lightroom to my center display the secondary display will stay where it was opened on the right.  If I do anything outside of lightroom the secondary display will pop back over to the left.  So this seems to be a pretty good work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  have essentially the same problem. I have three monitors; I want the LR primary window to show on monitor 1 (left), where my taskbar is, and the LR 'secondary monitor' window to show on monitor 2 (center). Monitor 3 has some other windows open on it that I need to watch.

LR opens fine on my primary (left) monitor, but the LR 'Secondary monitor' window always shows up on monitor 3 (right), leaving monitor 2 (center) unused...

Heeeelp. Right now as a workaround I've turned off the 'Full Screen' option and am manually moving the 'Secondary monitor' window, but it should be a simple click-drag-maximize-remember to move it, or at least a menu option. Premiere Pro understands how to do it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i installed an extra graphic card.

grtz Ronald

Verzonden vanaf mijn Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a workaround (LR5), proably works on earlier versions :

Open LR and enter full screen on second (left) monitor.

Then drag the main window to the left, the second shall move to the right ! (make sure to expand the main)

Move again the main (LR) window to your center (main) screen and voilà !

Now adobe please fix this properly since it is a HIGHLY wanted feature for all us triple screens users !

Edit : il will only live until LR focus is lost

Message was edited by: m_i_k_a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want this feature too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2013 Aug 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too.  And this is an absolute joke that it is not fixed by now.  Friggin ridiculous.  I am disliking Adobe more and more every day it seems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2013 Dec 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Win7 X64 and the listed solutions will not work for me. My setup has three monitors, which Win7 numbers 1-3-2 from left to right. Monitor 1 in my main display, and I want to use monitor 3 as Lightroom's secondary monitor, but is always uses monitor 2. Since monitors 2 and 3 have different interfaces, I cannot physically switch their cables. As was said, this is "ridiculous." I should be able to specify which monitor I want to be Lightroom's secondary monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 23, 2014 Feb 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol this is ridiculous! I have the most stupid problem here, cause I use a dual monitor setup but also have a projector attached to my mac pro via thunderbolt. Even though the projector is turned off, the connected TB cable makes OSX register it somehow as a 3rd display all the time. So lightroom's fullscreen 2nd display always opens up on the beamer (which is display no3 to the right) leaving my real 2nd display unused. I can't move the window over when I leave fullscreen mode without having to turn the projector on. This is just so silly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2014 Jul 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION for NOW... (Im USING 3 Displays)

I had the same problem... I wanted to use the middle monitor as my main screen and LR secondary to open on my right monitor due to my workstation setup... I searched the internet entirely with no luck...

To remedy this I just disabled my secondary screen from full screen mode so i could manually move it.

LR > Window (Menu) > Secondary Display > Full Screen (Shift+F11) then just move it where you want and stretch it to the max size. If you switch to full screen for the secondary display it will automatically go back to the left display. You can still use the main window in full screen with this modification.

Hope this helps

CHEERS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really not a solution, but i guess we'll have to work with that(Shift+F11). Evey time you go to another program you have to move the secondary window back to another screen and resize it when you return to lightroom. It desent just stay where you leave it. It's not too sleek looking either. This is just so stupid. If the second window just acted like a regular window the problem would not be there at all. HOW HARD IS IT TO MAKE BASIC THINGS WORK, ADOBE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My secondary window stays where you put it when not full screen, what OS are you on PunaJussi?

It is still ridiculous that a 5 year old problem still exists...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7

There really is no real fix for this...

Lightroom: How do assign a second monitor with more than 3 monitors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2014 Dec 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also using Lightroom with three monitors, also agree it's ridiculous triple-monitor setups are still not properly supported.  +1 on the please fix this fatal flaw.  (While you are in there, maybe make the crop tool 4X faster too!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Triple monitor set up, airing my grievances. Please allow for alternate monitor secondary display support- well besides the one that is default to be full screen chosen one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Corey,

I see I get notifications from old posts still

Try here: Recently active topics in Photoshop Family about Photoshop Lightroom for requests.

Edit: just found this one Lightroom: Enable the use of more than 2 monitors

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines