• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clarification Needed Please: Range Mask Greyed (Blacked) Out and Not Usable

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.  I am using the latest update of Lightroom Classic.  When I try to use the Adjustment Brush (or another of the tools, I assume) do I have to actually click on the image and paint with it in order to activate the Range Mask?  That seems kind of odd, but if that's the way it is, so be it.

I'm using a Windows 10 machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

"Do I have to actually click on the image and paint with it in order to activate the Range Mask?"

Yup, that's how it works (for better or worse) -- you need to have some brush strokes to use Range Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Do I have to actually click on the image and paint with it in order to activate the Range Mask?"

Yup, that's how it works (for better or worse) -- you need to have some brush strokes to use Range Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to answer.  Seems like Adobe could easily fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure they don't consider it an "issue". I'd bet they think that's the proper design of the tool, and so there's no need to fix anything because it's not broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your input also.  I appreciate it.  As I mentioned below, I guess my response would be, why could we not have it both ways?  I'm not as experienced as many of you obviously, and honestly, I don't think this is a big enough thing to make an issue of, but if we want to best product we can get, I believe we should have as many options as possible.  You may very well be right that Adobe desn't consider it an "issue."  That said, I don't intend to pursue this whole thing any further.  I got my answer.

Again, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not need a fix IMO.

Logic would suggest to me that to 'Modify' anything it first has to 'exist'.

To modify with a mask- then a Brush stroke or an applied Gradient has to first exist!

Brushing or Gradients do not exist by just selecting the Tool. The tool has to be applied to a photo before selective 'masking' becomes available.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input.  I appreciate it.  I guess my response would be, why could we not have it both ways?  I'm not as experienced as many of you obviously, and honestly, I don't think this is a big enough thing to make an issue of, but if we want to best product we can get, I believe we should have as many options as possible.  That said, I don't intend to pursue this whole thing any further.  I got my answer.

Again, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or another example- You can apply a gradient filter over the total image and then use the Range mask to select by (color) blue sky.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.  I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Seems like Adobe could easily fix this issue."

You could submit a feature request in the official feedback forum:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom

Product developers read everything posted there, but rarely participate here, which is primarily a user-to-user forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines