Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Classic CC Range Mask not applied with psd or tiff files

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody

Please anyone can please help me solve this issue.

When i try to apply range mask with lightroom classic CC to a psd or tiff file (previously created in photoshop) it doesn't work at all. I mean moving the slider in the range mask do not produce any effect

Thanks for your help

Gabriele

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Looking at the image in your screen-clips, I think you need to be more extreme with the Mask sliders-

The 'Luminance' Range slider is set wide enough to include most of the tones in the sky so you will not see much of a change from the overall Gradient  -Exposure adjustment.

The 'Smoothness' slider at the center also may not be limiting the tones you want to adjust with the mask. Hold down the [ALT] key as you move the slider to the extremes.

Also press 'O' to turn on the Overlay for another visual

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have misunderstood how the Range Mask works. Please do a Google search for New Range Mask feature in LR and follow along with some of the tutorials that come up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gabrieler,

You can refer the below tutorial as well.

Video Tutorial: Lightroom Classic CC Range Mask - YouTube

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit,

Thank you very much for your help but maybe i did not explained very well the problem

Range mask works pretty well with raw files (*.cr2)  . I do not have any problem in using it. But it does not work with psd or tiff files. I think its a bug. Please do you notice the same problem or do you have any solution for that?

Thank you a lot!

Kind regards

Gabriele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohit,

Thank you very much for your help but maybe i did not explained very well the problem

Range mask works pretty well with raw files (*.cr2)  . I do not have any problem in using it. But it does not work with psd or tiff files. I think its a bug. Please do you notice the same problem or do you have any solution for that?

Thank you a lot!

Kind regards

Gabriele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem could be that you have somehow set the image to Process Version 1 through Process Version 3. You must be using Process Version 4 for the range mask to work.

Also, please be much more specific ... when you say "it doesn't work at all", what does that mean. Provide details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo DJ,

I'm using  Process version 4. The problem is the follow:

1) I apply a graduated filter tool or a brush or a radial  2) I modify the setting of the filter:  exposure, hilights etc etc 3) I activate luminance range mask 3) i move the sliders of the range mask but nothing happens when i move the slider the filter is applied at 100% as the range mask slider would be set from 0 to 100. the sme problem with the color range mask

This problem happens to  PSD files and TIFF  files  coming back  to LL after  they have been modified in Photoshop

The range mask works without problem in the raw file (CR2) coming from my camera

Thanks a lot

KInd regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a screen capture of what is happening? Possibly even two or three screen captures as you move through the process of using a range mask?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the base

base.jpg

Gradient applied

gradient filter applied.jpg

Luminosity range mask applied and id doesn't produce any changes

luminosity range mask applied.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this on a TIF file on my computer. Works properly.

So I'm afraid I don't have any further advice. I hope someone else can find the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the image in your screen-clips, I think you need to be more extreme with the Mask sliders-

The 'Luminance' Range slider is set wide enough to include most of the tones in the sky so you will not see much of a change from the overall Gradient  -Exposure adjustment.

The 'Smoothness' slider at the center also may not be limiting the tones you want to adjust with the mask. Hold down the [ALT] key as you move the slider to the extremes.

Also press 'O' to turn on the Overlay for another visual guide to the areas that will be affected by the gradient+Luminance mask.

Screen-clips:

A darkening gradient from the top-

ScreenShot074.jpg

Luminance 'Range' sliders set very close together-

ScreenShot077.jpg

The 'Smoothness' slider with the [ALT] key held down-

ScreenShot076.jpg

Showing the Gradient with Red Overlay-

ScreenShot075.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem, no matter how extreme I make the range mask nothing happens.

Even if I hold down alt whilst adjusting the range mask there is no sign of change.

Works perfectly fine with RAW files, but not with PSD, TIF or JPEG.

Perhaps thats by design?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps thats by design?

No way. It is a bug and should be reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bug definetively! How can we report that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine here on OSX 10.13.3. and Lr7.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a bug. Works as expected. If it isn't for you then you are doing something wrong or expecting it to do something different then what it is designed for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William, Have you actually made a strong Gradient adjustment with the Tool sliders before trying to adjust the mask?

It is more about -how extreme you make the Gradient, and then modify it with the mask.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion and feedback WobertC & Bob Somrak

For the sake of demonstration I have applied an extreme bright pink gradient to an image. As you can see, despite an extreme gradient (coupled with an extreme adjustment to the luminance range mask) the effect remains unchanged.

I am running LR 7.1 so I'll update to 7.2 and cross my fingers.

Here is a TIF

Snip20180216_6.png

Snip20180216_7.png

Snip20180216_8.png

Snip20180216_9.png

Here is a RAW:

Snip20180216_11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

I see the same, or similar,  with a TIFF converted to monochrome with an adjustment layer in Photoshop. The Luminance Masking does not work with this TIFF image.

These screen-clips of mine show the "Smoothness" effect (not the color) when the [ALT] key is held down and the [Smoothness Slider] moved.

These clips are on a DNG raw COLOR image with the smoothness mask activated at 4, and an extreme negative Exposure- All is GOOD.

ScreenShot156.jpg ScreenShot157.jpgRange limited to highlights.-Good.

These clips are on a DNG raw COLOR image with the smoothness mask activated at 96, and an extreme negative Exposure- All is Good.

ScreenShot158.jpg

ScreenShot159.jpg Range also highlights, but extreme smoothness.-to be expected.

This "Smoothness" preview is from the Monochrome TIFF version of the same image file, and just like Williampalfrey, the Luminance masking is not working with this type of file. The Smoothness slider goes 'crazy'.

ScreenShot160.jpg

And trying to add a Tint into the shadows is not possible with the Gradient.-

ScreenShot161.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying this with a color image from Lightroom sent to Photoshop and returned as a TIFF and although the rendition from the Luminance sliders a little bit different between the CR2 and TIFF it is pretty close.  If I get time I will have to try this with a B&W but WobertC's test looks pretty convincing it is a BUG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see this thread is almost one year old, but suddenly, I have started experiencing the same problem with one tiff file. After some investigation, I've found this:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/bug-luminance-range-masks-in-lightroom-do-not...

And indeed, the image I am having trouble with is a black and white one, and also, I can see that the examples of this problem that Gabriele and William provided, were also grayscale images. I don't think that's a coincidence.

I don't know about Gabriele and William, but in my case, my tiff image is not really "grayscale" as such - it's just an RGB image with zero saturation all across the image. I've also noticed that, if I go back to Photoshop and include some pixels with saturation > 0, and then go back to LR, this feature (luminosity mask) works again... but if it's just one pixel with high saturation, it won't work. So, it's as if there's some kind of saturated pixels threshold that triggers this problem. I can't really tell, it's confusing. I will keep investigating and I will report in the original feedback thread if necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines