Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipping preview issue introduced in Lightroom Classic 9.2 on Windows

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the new version of Lightroom Classic, 9.2, has changed the behaviour of the mask overlay in develop module. Before 9.2 one simply needed to press Alt key and then press the left mouse button to visualize a mask overlay, which I found to be extremely useful in order to precisely assess problem areas (such as blocked shadows, clipped highlights). Now, with 9.2, If I do the same things nothing happens: simply pressing both ALT key and left mouse button does not produce the mask overlay. Now I ALSO need to move the slider in order to see the mask.

This is very annoying, because now I have to move the slider every time, even when I just want to assess the mask, and then I have the undo the slider move.

I would like to ask the developers to return to the old behaviour, because the new one is much more time consuming and inefficient.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: in order to deactivate the mask I now need to release both ALT key and the left muse button. Before 9.2 update I just needed to release the ALT key, allowing me to easily switch the mask on and off in order to better understand the impact of the slider movement on the image. Now that workflow is impossible, as I have to release also the ALT key to hide the mask. Please revert back to the original behavour, this new one is really time consuming and inefficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that the correct shortcut? Is it not O to show/not show Shift_O to cycle thru colors.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/keyboard-shortcuts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the OP is referring not to a mask overlay of the type used in local adjustments, but rather to the clipping preview used e.g. with Whites or Blacks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works correctly for me.  I place my mouse cursor over the Exposure slider "tear drop" for example and hold Alt/Option and click left and the mask shows up.  Holding/Releasing the Alt/Option toggles the mask on and off even while dragging.

Lr9.2 Macos 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am referring to the clipping preview. Sorry for not using the correct naming. I revised the topic title.

This is interesting, so it seems that the change in behaviour only affects Windows (which I'm using). Thanks for the feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, now I understand, various capabilities when holding down the ALT key.

For example setting white and black point via ALT and moving Whites slider or blacks slider (or highlite, or shadows). But you do need to click on a slider, or slider description,  not just blank space.

some links on ALT use, none of these are new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V62FfOnomQg

https://petapixel.com/2017/06/14/14-hidden-lightroom-shortcuts-use-altoption-key/

https://laurashoe.com/2012/11/26/develop-module-secret-lightroom-powers-revealed-the-altoption-key/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I am referring to the clipping preview. Sorry for not using the correct naming. I revised the topic title.
This is interesting, so it seems that the change in behaviour only affects Windows (which I'm using). Thanks for the feedback

So this link: https://havecamerawilltravel.com/lightroom/clipped-highlights-shadows/

Actualy have to click on something.

"Accessing it is simple. You simply hold down a key while you move the sliders in the Tone panel. On Mac, it’s the Option/ALT key. On Windows, it’s the ALT key."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines