Highlighted

Clone tool situation plus a sharpening question

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Classicalists,

I have found that after cloning in and around an area on an image, any further attempts are blocked when the brush tool turns into either a closed fist or a double arrow. This is amazingly frustrating. 

And, if that was not enough, when I attempt to use a mask to sharpen a small area at the center of a flower by pressing the ALT key and using the mask slider, there is no way to isolate the center for sharpening. How do I isolate discreet areas to be sharpened?

Thanks to all,

Richard

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Clone tool situation plus a sharpening question

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Classicalists,

I have found that after cloning in and around an area on an image, any further attempts are blocked when the brush tool turns into either a closed fist or a double arrow. This is amazingly frustrating. 

And, if that was not enough, when I attempt to use a mask to sharpen a small area at the center of a flower by pressing the ALT key and using the mask slider, there is no way to isolate the center for sharpening. How do I isolate discreet areas to be sharpened?

Thanks to all,

Richard

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no tool named Clone tool. There is the Spot Removal tool that you can either select Clone or Heal as its mode of working.

In the Clone mode you can Click and drag to simulate a brush stroke and then that area that you brushed get replaced by some other area of the image that LrC thinks is a good match. You can move that selected replacement area around if it doesn't suit you.

The Hand and Double arrow cursor is completely normal with the Tool Overlay option set to Always, Selected or Auto. Set that option to Never and then you won't get those styles of cursors and you will be able to select/brush over those same areas.

Second question.

Use the Adjustment Brush and the sharpness slider only or add some texture.

Also the o (oh) key turns on and off the overlay option so you can see where you are brushing.

2020-07-05 15_43_01-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.png

I think you need to review some basic and advanced tutorials on all these tool to get a handle on how they work before you continue editing. It will stop a lot of trhe frustrations you are having.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/enhanced-spot-removal.html

https://digital-photography-school.com/fixing-photos-lightroom-spot-removal-tool/

https://www.lightroompresets.com/blogs/pretty-presets-blog/79936260-6-tips-for-cloning-in-lightroom

incidentally, as mentioned in that last link, hiding pins can help.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines