• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cloud Photo Database for Family Photos

Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a LrC question per se but I'm not sure where else to ask and I thought there might be someone in this forum who has solved this problem already.  My 3 brothers and I are looking for a cloud-based Digital Asset Manager/Photo Database where can all contribute photos and make them available to our extended families for viewing.  We are all Lightroom users and love the capabilities. In fact, what we really would like is a multi-user Lightroom. We all want to be able to:

• upload/download photos
  • create hierarchies of categories
  • ideally create collections like LR does or have good tagging/keywording capabilities
  • easy search engine

We've looked at Flickr but it has too many limitations. Google Photos doesn't support tagging. Smugmug is not really suited to this either. 

Has anyone else been trying to do something like this and have a good solution?  I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this with the cloud version of Lightroom, not Classic. Only one of you can be the owner of the Album though. If you set up an Album and invite your brothers, they will be able to contribute to it, and you will receive the full resolution images in your album. Then you can create a public link of the album to share with non Lightroom users in your family. Your other family members can download jpegs of the photos if you allow it on the album settings. 

There is some information here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/save-share-photos.html

I also have a course on LinkedIn Learning called Lightroom Social Sharing. Collaborative albums is covered in that course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"ideally create collections like LR does or have good tagging/keywording capabilities and make them available to our extended families for viewing."

I assume by "extended families" you mean users that do not have a Lightroom subscription and who will be viewing the albums in the Lightroom Web app. Just be aware that currently keywords are not visible in the Web app when using a share link. Just an FYI so you're not disappointed "down the road" of implementation. They used to be visible, but when Adobe added the capability to edit keywords in your Web account (lightroom.adobe.com) they removed the ability to see keywords in shared albums. Why I have no idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, actually all 3 of my brothers and I use Lightroom.  3 of us the subscription based LR and one has standalone LR on his Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also want to ask this question in forums that have broader readership than just Lightroom Classic users, such as https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1006

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"No, actually all 3 of my brothers and I use Lightroom. 3 of us the subscription based LR and one has standalone LR on his Mac."

None of your other family members want to view the pictures on their own devices? Perhaps you don't understand how a shared album works. In addition, your brother with the standalone Lightroom 6 or earlier has no Cloud support, which limits what he can do. He and others in your family without a Lightroom subscrption are limited to the shared albums you and your bother create. He can't upload his own albums, but can upload individual pictures to a shared album you've created, but can't see or edit keywords and other metadtata. It can be very confusing as to what works and what doesn't work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines