Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Co-ordinating Multiple Drives

New Here ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! 

I upgraded to a newer MacBook Pro which has the newer USB 3 port connectors so I bought a new Western Digital small portable drive with the same port connector. Also got adaptors for USB 2 and Firewire to run my older WD and OWC drives.

So, I have some 20,000 image files on those portable drives and Lightroom 5 and Classic with their lrcat catalogs only on the new computer.

Before starting Classic, I wanted to update Lr 5 with photos from 2019 which had not been added to the older (and heavier) WD “My Passport Studio” drive but are on the new WD “My Passport Ultra for Mac” along with the 20,000 images from 2006 to 2018. 

The 20,000 on the WD Studio were loaded into Lr 5 first. I then attempted to load everything on the WD Ultra making sure as suggested to Add and check the “Do not transfer suspected duplicates” box.

So now what I’ve got is a Folders panel which displays both drives and their respective contents. AND, big surprise, the new, lightweight Mac and it’s companion WD lightweight Ultra small drive in the Folders panel shows ONLY the photo files from 2019. For the others, I must plug in the older and heavier USB 2 / Firewire drive.

The simplest solution seems to be to create a new lrcat and Add all 20,000 2006-18 plus the 2019 using the new WD USB 3 source. BUT I would seem then to lose all the old keywords. Is there a way to remove those drives from the Folders panel and start over but retain keyword links?

WOW, this is awfully long! If any of you have read this far without drinking ALL of your beer, wine, gin or milk, or Clorox . . . do you have a suggestion?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no need to create a new catalog. You need to point the existing catalog to the new drive locations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines