Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Collaborative working.

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon all, 

Is there a way to work colaborativly on images?

I'd like to be able to import a RAW file, make some adjustments and then make it available to another person to a) look at the work I have done, and b) (this is the important one!) make further adjustments to the image,

So I need to share the image itself, and all the adjustments.

Could this be applied to a whole folder?

Very many thanks

James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quick answer is no. LR-Classic is designed to work with ONE person.

The long answer is possible BUT it does take some coordination with the other party(ies).

- Don't use Lightroom, use Bridge and ACR (The engine for Lightroom is ACR)

- Place the images in a Shared folder in Dropbox

- While not required, it might be handy to convert the images to DNG images so you do not have to worry about losing the sidecar (xmp) files (The DNG format is a container file and the sidecar files are contained within the DNG so they cannot be lost or misplaced.

- After each editing session that each person does, they can then release the images. This can be done either by telephone, email, or within the shared folder have subfolders where your images are in the FFF folder and not released to the shared folder until you are done. THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE YOU CANNOT WORK ON THE SAME IMAGE AT THE SAME TIME. (Don't mean to shout but this is important.)

And lastly, both computer really really really need to be color managed because it's important that what you find as the proper "red" is the same as your colaboarators. 

And lastly lastly, agree before hand who's going to do what. Sometimes subtle things like nuances of what you want such as the White Balance to be can be an issue. ("I want the Temperature at 3800!" "No, I want it at 3900!")

Good luck with this! Let us know how it works out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your really clear and helpful reply.  

I understand more now that LR is really aimed at the singular person. 

I think in my case I probably dont have a high enough need to go down the path you need.  The most likely case would be - "Hi Gary, here is an image I took, and these are the adjustments Ive made - what would you have done with it", Its not a professional wish here, more whimsical!

That said though,  I will take a copy of your advice and keep oit up my sleeve should the need rise further.

Very many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FFF,

No problem. You didn't say what your needs/goal were so I aimed at an upper level.

You still can do what I suggest but leave out the parts that are not relevant to you.

One small favor, if you can tap the Correct answer on my comment above, that will help others who might have the same interest and/or need. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is just an occasional image, or even a folder of images, something that you could consider would be to export "finished" work on your part as DNG files and give those files to the other person to look at in Lightroom. The DNG files would still be raw images, and would contain all the work you did. Then the two of you could work back and forth on those DNG files. It's not the smoothest or easiest thing to do, but with careful management it would work. After the initial export as DNG and exchange, you would want to be sure to save metadata to the files before exchanging again. Like I say, it would take careful management to make it work well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might want try setting up a collection and syncing it to Lightroom. If you have an ipad with Lightroom on it you can share the collection (called album in Lightroom) with your colleague. Add their email and tap the drop down menu next to the eye icon and select Can Contribute. Your colleague can then access that album in lightroom.adobe.com in a browser and access the Edit functionality. Once you open your Lightroom Classic will sync those edits. The interface is different and not all of the language is the same but this may help your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines