• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Full Screen mode: Print & Book modules show wrong colors but output correctly

Contributor ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic 10.0 on macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 shows the original, unedited version of the photo when using the "Zoom to Fill" function in the Print module. In other words: All the edits done on the photo do not show when "Zoom to Fill" is checked. This seems to happen regardless of the Paper size setting or any other setting in the Print module.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 127 Replies 127
127 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color differences between Develop and Print modules.

Hello, I am reaching to you at Adobe to try and fix a problem. I prefer to ask for your help instead of losing time researching the internet. Regarding the hardware: I use the iMac, retina 5K 27 inches, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i5 6 hearts. Running with macOS Big Sur 11.2.3. Now the software:  Adobe Lightroom Classic 10.2 Using Lightroom Classic, I notice that the work (crop is OK, but color, saturation not) that was done on a file in the Develop module does not always reflect in the Print module. Even when I change the color profil from Adobe RVB to Pro Photo RVB. Sometimes the colors are ok. But every time I use a layout, the colors are incorrect. Do you have a solution to fix this? Thank you for looking into this.02-Develop.JPG03-Print-NotOk.JPG04-Print-Ok.JPG05-Layout-NotOk.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you actually print this to JPEG and then check the colors of the JPEG? I do not think that the print module is color managed. It does not show you a soft proof, but simply the same previews as the Library moduke does. The Develop module has different previews so they can indeed look different. Ignore it and look at the printed result. Or choose Soft Proof in the Develop module and choose the same profile here.

BTW, do not create JPEG's in ProPhotoRGB! ProPhotoRGB should only be used in combination with 16 bits color and JPEG does not support that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Johan for your help.

I do not print at home. But I prepare the files and send them to a lab. I save in JPG and sRVB or AdobeRVB before sending. As I open the file before sending it, I can see that the color are ok. From what you write, I understand that it is a question of color management in Lightroom. I read the following about Lrt:

"In the Develop module, by default, Lightroom renders previews using the ProPhoto RGB color space. ProPhoto RGB contains all colors that digital cameras can capture, making it an excellent choice for editing images.

Library, Map, Book, and Print modules in Lightroom render colors in the Adobe RGB color space. The Adobe RGB gamut includes most colors that digital cameras can capture together with some printable colors (cyans and blues, in particular) that cannot be defined using the smaller, web-friendly sRGB color space."

What I do not understand is why sometimes the colors in Print are the same as in Develop and many times not? For my creative process, I prefer to see my file color adjusted when working a layout to be printed. Thank's again

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a Mac Mini (2018) with Big Sur 11.2.3 and LrC 10.2. I often use the LrC book module for printing photobooks via Blurb paying a lot of attention to the quality and layout of my images. Since Big Sur I discovered that there is a major and bad colour shift in the preview of the image when using the command Zoom Photo To Fill Cell in the book module, also using the zoom function in the cell causes the same issue -> image is getting a kind of desaturated result! I read discussions in other posts of comparable problems with zooming in the print module and in the library module, and those problems still seem to exist. I found out that those problems don't occur on my MBP (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) with Catalina 10.15.7 and LrC 10.2. So it seems that LrC doesn't work fine together with Big Sur in this respect. I hope that this problem will not affect the quality of my images while sending a book to Blurb. I may expect that Adobe will solve this problem now within due time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image is not available

left picture is not zoomed and is correct, right picture used command Zoom Photo To Fill Cell, in this case it was zoomed up until 3% If you use the zoom function in the black bar on top of the cell manually up until 3% - same result, clear differences in colour,

another strange thing in the book module is the small black lines which occur in the preview all the time on one or the other side of the image, see next screenshot, maybe this is connected to the colour shift issue!?

Image is not available

furthermore the colour shift issue also occurs in the print module. If you uncheck Lock to Photo Aspect Ratio and changing the size of the image which deviates from the aspect ratio of the photo, the same thing happens, see next screenshot. You can adjust that however by using the command Match Photo Aspect Ratio, than it turns back to the right colours,

Image is not available

before Big Sur those things did not happen in LrC - looking forward to your reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe community, I am still looking for a solution with a problem with Lightroom Classic. Color differences between Develop and Print modules.  You can read the above post for more info. Does anyone have a clue? Thank you for helping out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What I do not understand is why sometimes the colors in Print are the same as in Develop and many times not? For my creative process, I prefer to see my file color adjusted when working a layout to be printed."

As Johan already explained the Print module uses Adobe RGB color profiled previews, which is the same as the Library module. The Develop module uses the much wider ProPhoto RGB colorspace. If a specific file looks the same in both the Print and Develop modules it means the image does not contain any color gamut outside Adobe RGB. In addition to see these differences you need to use a wide gamut display. On a standard gamut display (i.e. sRGB gamut) these differences will not be visible.

As already mentioned all soft proof adjustments should be made and previewed in the Develop module. Once completed there is no need to be concerend with image file color as it appear inside the Print module. Simply set the Print module's Color Manangement to the same profile used for soft proofing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ronald_Dingemans Thanks Ronald. As you know this is happening to me. very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how long will it take for adobe to wake up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

every 2-2.5 month, then they will break something else and the vicious cycle continues...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m experiencing the same issues: image is darker and less saturated in print mode than in develop mode.  This makes no sense.  How can I print a reliable image if my adjustments are seemingly lost.  

has anyone found a solution or work around?

justen

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve put my books on hold until it’s fixed. I will also let Blurb know as it directly affects them too as they print the books. I suggest everyone does the same so that Adobe get the message (apologies if they have already got the message and are in the process of fixing it - fingers crossed they have!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug report as marked as "Acknowledged" (see the upper-right corner), which means that the product team acknowledges the problem exists and there's an internal report filed in their bug-tracking system.  Unfortunately, Adobe rarely discloses their plans for when bugs will be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks that's great news. Is the acknowledgment a fresh update? I emailed Blurb earlier today to make them aware. Looking forward to getting I back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah great news. Two updates and 5 months so far and no fix. Glad it is 'acknowledged'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly the problem I'm experiencing between Develop and Print modes.  Wasted a bunch of money on printing samples in an effort to track it down.
Printing is fundamental, hurry the fix along!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gary. Make sure you let blurb know to keep the pressure on Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Philip Mc Gowan I have the exact same issue. Mac Mini M1 latest Big Sur and when zoom to fill is checked the image gets almost desaturated. Not sure if it effects print quality but sure is concerning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color has always looked the same in develop and print modules for me, I have been using Lightroom since the begining. Now ONLY since the upgrade to Big Sur OS 11, am I having this same issue: The color looks darker and desaturated in the print module. Please help. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A followup: The colors are "normal" untill I click "Zoom to Fill", then they look darker and desatuarted. Maybe that is why the issue seems to show up in a Picture Package. Again, this is new behavior since upgrading to Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As other's have said, it's expected that previews outside the Develop Module may not exactly match as Develop uses a unique preview architecture and further, one must preview at 1:1 to see an accurate preview. 

That said, there IS a bug in the current version, at least on this end too, where Develop and Print greatly mismatch. Adobe is aware of this. I checked the same image in the two modules with LR5 (very old version yes) and indeed, the two match closer. In the current version, the two are a mile off. 

Further, while this should be fixed, in Print module, there's nothing you need to view; you can't soft proof and the preview is really for FPO only. But yes, the current version should preview closer than I'm seeing in the last release. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

This problem still exists in LR Classic and Big Sur. Below is a summary of how it works (or not), consistent with the earlier comments and images posted:

I started using the ColorFidelity camera profiles for my EOS R5 a few months ago in Lightroom. I recently noticed that after applying the desired Colorfidelity profile upon import and making adjustments in the Develop module of Lightroom, when I switch over to the Print module the image looks very different than it does in the Develop module, as if the ColorFidelity profile has not been applied and instead only the standard Adobe camera profile has been applied. In the past, when using my 5D Mark III, that was also the case as the develop module likely tried to simulate the printer and paper, although now, I think the difference in the images is quite pronounced. It appears as though the ColorFidelity profile is not recognized by the Print module. Fortunately, the actual printed image looks fine, actually, better than fine. In contrast, when developing and printing an image from my 5D Mark III or the original EOS R, the image in the Develop and Print modules is quite similar, the main difference being the image changing based on the type of photo paper I use. Since I am not using the ColorFidelity profiles for those cameras, I assumed that there may be some interplay between the ColorFidelity profiles and the Print module.

Kind regards,

Dimitri

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your post.  That may be the way it works in 10.0, and OS 11.0.1, but in 10.2 and OS 11.3.1 the colors are shifted and when processed the photos are printed with the shift.  Here's what I see.

Old pic but shows the skin tone shift.

1st here's the edits made on the original

ScreenShot20210510at10.35.02AM-a9ca6976-b271-47ec-b90f-1e355770188c-1311212968.jpg

Now here's the same pic in Print mode with zoom to fill unchecked

ScreenShot20210510at10.36.17AM-9f4948be-64d0-44e8-82c5-f3da74438dbb-377634971.jpg

Now with zoom to fill checked.

ScreenShot20210510at10.36.40AM-8697de75-0a74-427c-ae3c-eae04e9e5686-606459791.jpg

Can anyone else confirm this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gary,

this exactly the issue I am seeing in LR Classic (latest version) with Mac OS Big Sur (latest version). In my case, the problem only manifests itself when working on the EOS R5 files and not the EOS R or 5D Mark III. Importantly, when working on the EOS R5 files, this phenomenon does not affect the actual print, it comes out as expected.

Kind regards,

Dimitri

Votes

Translate

Translate