• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color grading questions

Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understanding that color grading a photo can be subjective, I'm curious to hear your insight into how you might approach grading outdoor portraits where a subject is on the grass:

1.  When might you saturate, darken, lighten grass? Do you typically try to do whatever you need to create contrast between grass, and green bushes behind the subject? If you saturate it too much is it a problem if it draws attention away from the subject? What is your approach to doing this?

2. When might you consider adding haze to soften the look of a photo?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  When might you saturate, darken, lighten grass?

Yes it is all "Subjective" for me.

I find the HSL panel is very useful for adjusting all three (Hue Saturation Luminance), especially using the Targeted adjustment Tool.

Only problem might be if the 'same' colors exist on the subject that should not change. Many have asked Abode to make HSL available in the Tool options as well as 'Global'.

2. When might you consider adding haze to soften the look of a photo?

Again "subjective".  And in various ways- Brushing, Circular Gradient, etc. (negative Dehaze and Un-sharpen)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Only problem might be if the 'same' colors exist on the subject that should not change. Many have asked Abode to make HSL available in the Tool options as well as 'Global'.

In many ways the new Color Range Masking in Local Adjustments fulfills the desire for local HSL settings. And in regard to controlling the tonality it is better than the rather clumsy Luminance in HSL, since there are five tonality tools available. Less precise control over Hue, but I suppose the selected color's hue can be changed with a blended color overlay or by fiddling with WB Temp and Tint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines