• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color is very different between Library and Develop Lightroom Classic - macOS Catalina 10.15.1

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I reciently got a BenQ SW270C monitor and I use the Palette Master Element to calibrate the monitor with an  i1 display pro. Now in Lightroom Classic the color of my images look very different between the library and the display. The images in develop look much darker and are very saturated. It is so drastially dirrent that I cannot use Lightroom to judge color.

I'm using a mac OSCatalina 10.15.1

Please tell me what I can to do fix the problem.

thank you.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

This just solved my days of problem solving, thanks so much! Adter updating to Catalina while in Lightroom develop mode I had my external Dell UP2516D monitor flicking between colours over saturated and washed out depending on whrre the cursor was on the screen. Was doing my head in. Fixed now. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jill,

Sorry to hear about the color difference, could you try changing the screen color profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Let us know if it helps.
Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1: fixed the color difference. But I would certinaly like to use the monitor to the fullest. I should be able to have a profiles set up to to simulate various viewing conditions. For instance one to simulate my lab for prints and one for on line viewing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like . . .

This looks like a graphics driver or monitor profile issue. One thing to try:
Go to LR menu Edit> Preferences> Performance and un-check 'Use Graphics Processor.’
If the issue persists, post back here thanks.
How did you go with following Sahil's post above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tony,
Many thanks for this. I got a BENQ SW270C in March and use a SpyderX. Had a little trouble getting profile set up - initially the BENQ software would run very very slowly but I did get a consistent calibration. Then about a week ago my Macbook barfed (rebooted spontaneously) and while the Library view was consistent with Mac Preview, my other monitor and prints  the view in Develop was extremely saturated. I tried recalibrating multiple times but could not eliminate the issue. Un-checking 'Use Graphics Processor' instantly fixed the issue. It begs the question what changed but for now I can edit again!
To answer Conrad's question below so far in my limited experience the BENQ Palette Master Element Software has always set the monitor to the correct hardware profile after recalibration. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This just solved my days of problem solving, thanks so much! Adter updating to Catalina while in Lightroom develop mode I had my external Dell UP2516D monitor flicking between colours over saturated and washed out depending on whrre the cursor was on the screen. Was doing my head in. Fixed now. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if its not that, here is some further information posted previously:

Library/Develop module render difference . . .
"This is pretty normal. One thing to realize is that as mentioned above the color space in Develop is different - it is a linear gamma version of prophotoRGB that is unique to Lightroom but that is not a real issue as long as the color is inside the display gamut and either adobeRGb or prophotoRGB. Most important is that the print module renders from the adobeRGB low res preview jpegs.
The second (and probably most important in this case) is that the scaling algorithm is different. The jpeg preview in print is scaled I believe by bicubic scaling from the jpeg data but most importantly, the averaging of the pixels happens in gamma corrected space.
In Develop, the raw file is subsampled to lower resolution and then scaled in the linear space to the again lower display resolution. This results in a mathematically different result in high detail areas such as the colored leaves. This can lead to the Develop preview looking crisper and more saturated in the areas with lots of color detail as well as crisper in sharpness than the preview in Library or Print. There is no correct way to scale an image and the scaling algorithm has enormous influence so something to be aware off that it can influence appearance of scaled down images pretty strongly. To avoid this issue, the only solution is to zoom to 1:1 to check critical color."
Does this help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The difference betwen Develop and Library should not be dramatic. It should be as close as possible despite the fact that they display using different methods.

• What target settings did you enter when profiling the BenQ display? (gamut, brightness, white point)
  • Can you confirm in macOS System Preferences > Display that the currently selected profile is the one generated by Palette Master Element?
  • Because this display supports hardware calibration, there is a chance for incorrect display if the BenQ SW270C is using an internal preset that does not correspond to the profile selected in macOS Displays. I assume Palette Master Element should set all this automatically, because that's how it should work when you're done calibrating, but if they somehow got out of sync then the display will not look right.

(Note to other replies: This display supports hardware calibration, not just the far more common profiling-only. I have used other displays of this type, but not a BenQ.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The BenQ software is known to be buggy, there is a long list of threads concerning this, both here and in the Photoshop forum.

The issue is either that it doesn't load the profile correctly into the operating system, or that the profile isn't written correctly according to icc spec. Not sure which.

In any case, a difference between the two modules means that the color management chain is breaking in one of them. That's usually a faulty profile, but it could also be that the GPU isn't performing the conversion correctly - somewhere in the interface between a marginal profile and a marginal video driver. Sometimes disabling GPU can bring the process on track, so try that.

A break in the color management chain means that the conversion from the source data into the monitor profile fails. To work correctly, the monitor profile has to be an accurate description of the monitor's current and actual response. And the application (Lightroom) needs to perform this conversion correctly, remapping from one profile to the other. As long as this process runs as it should, everything has to display correctly, by definition, and thus identically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed my moniro profile to  sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as suggested in the first thread and prefive looks good.  

However I do want to use the features of BenQ and have profiles to simulate my lab's prints and also on line proofing. Do you have some suggestions how to maintaing a good color managemtn chain without breaks?

How do I disable the GPU?

thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that confirms it's a monitor profile issue. The BenQ software is doing something wrong. It's been going on for a long time too, and it's strange that this hasn't been fixed long ago. Can you check for updates?

You turn off the GPU in Preferences > Performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines