Color profile distortion with Nikon Z6

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera: Nikon Z6

Lens: Nikon Z 20mm f/1.8 & 35mm f/1.8

I import my photos from camera to Lightroom. When viewed from within the Library, the pictures look exactly how it appears in the camera LCD screen. 

As soon as I enter into Develop mode, I notice a distinct change in the color of the photos. This is without me making any changes at all! Specifically, as soon as I enter develop mode, the photo quickly transitions (~2 seconds) from what it was to a new profile, which is quite disappointing to say the least. I tried changing the color profiles to say Adobe Landscape. But the picture is still impacted greatly. 

Most affected areas are the sky. The natural sky blue turns into teal and the picture overall burns (as in, it tends to get darker).

I notice that basic settings such as exposure, texture, clarity, are almost always affected, but even when I bring them back to 0, the picture still looks very different from what I see on the camera. 

Could you please advise on what could be going wrong? 

TOPICS
Import and export, Presets or profiles, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about a screenshot of /preferences/presets/

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlike most other cameras, the Nikon Z cameras write camera settings to the raw files as XMP, which Lightroom understands.

So the develop sliders will move, according to the settings you have chosen in the camera.

To stop this behavior, you can create new default settings for the camera. David gave you this link:

https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2020/02/how-to-customize-lightroom-classics-default-develop-settings-v...

But this is not the cause of the difference between Library and Develop.

Did you try to disable the GPU? If that fixes the issue, update your graphics driver, and try turning the GPU back on.

The other possibility is that you have a defective monitor profile. This is quite common on Windows, because OS updates will sometimes install low quality monitor profiles from monitor manufacturers.

Try setting the monitor profile to sRGB (use Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor).

If this fixes the issue, it is recommended that you calibrate the monitor with a hardware calibrator.

This will also create and install a custom monitor profile that accurately describes your monitor.

With Lightroom closed, press the Windows key + R, type colorcpl in the box and press Enter.

Add the sRGB profile, and set it as default.

color-management.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0