• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Range Selection Not Working

Participant ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select various parts of an image to have the filter just apply to that color, nothing happens.  I updated to Mac Big Sur a few weeks ago so I don’t know if that is the problem. 

I just updated my LR Classic and that did not fix the issue either.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

This is an almost 100% monotone (yellow-brown) image. The Color and Luminace Range mask will not work for selective adjustment. Try using the Adjustment Brush with Auto Mask on the area you want to change. Then use a small Erase brush to remove any spillovers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What local tool are you using and what settings are you trying to apply? A screenshot of the local tool panel would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Todd,

I think the issue is that there is not a large enough delta between the
area I want masked, which is the grayish rock and the sand in the
screenshot attached. I am trying to use the Gradient Filter and want to
lower the color temperature in the rock and increase the exposure slightly.

Luminance masking seems to work and color masking works where there is a
stronger difference.

I welcome suggestions.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ignore this reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I made a mistake of replying from the email and not the forum. See below.

That said, it does appear my theory is correct in that this should be a luminance mask and not a color mask since that works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide a lot more details about what you are doing, step-by-step, leaving nothing out, and show us a screen capture of what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue is that there is not a large enough delta between the area I want masked, which is the white/grayish rock and the sand in the screenshot attached. I am trying to use the Gradient Filter and want to lower the color temperature in the rock and increase the exposure slightly.
Luminance masking seems to work and color masking works where there is a stronger difference. 
My steps:
  1. Select graduated filter and draw out gradient as per the second image below.
  2. Adjust to desired settings as per the side panel below. I even tried more aggessive changes
  3. Select Range Mask Color and use color picker to select ~5 areas of the rocks.
  4. Adjust amount and view mask to see if anything selected

As I look at the image more and think about this, I think this may be more of a luminance difference than color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an almost 100% monotone (yellow-brown) image. The Color and Luminace Range mask will not work for selective adjustment. Try using the Adjustment Brush with Auto Mask on the area you want to change. Then use a small Erase brush to remove any spillovers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Todd,

I had posted a reply to @dj_paige but I don’t see it now. I did figure out that it was due to not enough tonal separation. I was able to use luminance range though successfully. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines