• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

colour change from lightroom to photoshop (colourspace is the same)

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi as the title suggests i am exporting portraits from lightroom to photoshop for skin retouches/blemishes etc

but the tones etc are changing once exported to photoshop, i have googled etc but all i get is to make sure the colour profiled match in both apps ...which they do

please see below these are both totally unedited

thanks for any help

Screenshot 2019-03-04 at 20.32.01.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Lightroom uses an internal color space in the develop module that is not available in Photoshop, so please tell use what color space setting you use for Photoshop in the external editor preferences in Lightroom. Contrary to popular beliefs, the working color space setting in Photoshop is not relevant, but the color management policies are. So please tell us those settings too. Also please tell us the version numbers of Lightroom and Photoshop (and please do not say ‘latest’).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom uses an internal color space in the develop module that is not available in Photoshop, so please tell use what color space setting you use for Photoshop in the external editor preferences in Lightroom. Contrary to popular beliefs, the working color space setting in Photoshop is not relevant, but the color management policies are. So please tell us those settings too. Also please tell us the version numbers of Lightroom and Photoshop (and please do not say ‘latest’).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, do not compare what you see in the library module to Photoshop, instead compare what you see in the Develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidg36166309  wrote

Also, do not compare what you see in the library module to Photoshop, instead compare what you see in the Develop module.

The screenshot shows that he does...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, my bad, should have looked at it twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom and Photoshop don't match, it's usually caused by a defective or incompatible monitor profile. Try setting the monitor profile to sRGB (use Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor).

See http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-...

If this fixes the issue, you should ideally calibrate your monitor with a hardware calibrator. This will also create and install a new monitor profile that accurately describes your monitor.

Playing around with Photoshop's color settings could also cause this, as suggested by JohanElzenga

It's a persistent myth that profiles and/or working spaces have to match between Lightroom and Photoshop. They don't. Color management will ensure that images display correctly no matter what the profiles or working spaces are. The exception is gamut clipping, but I don't think that's the case here.

Also, Library and Develop should always display identical colors, and gamut clipping should not be an issue here, because even wide gamut monitors cannot display colors outside Adobe RGB. (although it appears that some wide gamut monitors can display saturated reds that are outside Adobe RGB)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other problem is, the zoom ratio in PS (and thus LR) isn't at 100% or 1:1. You MUST zoom both to that value to do any meaningful comparisons of tone, color and sharpness.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is most likely a bad monitor profile as Per suggests.

Another thing that could produce a similar effect is if Lightroom is stuck at an old version like 2015.1, but ACR/PS have been correctly updated. A new default camera profile was introduced at that time, and if Lr/ACR are using different camera profiles you see something like this. It happens that the CC app fails to report available updates, so check that actual version numbers in Lr/ACR correspond.

And just so it's perfectly clear, document profiles and/or working color spaces have nothing whatsover to do with this. The whole point of color management is to seamlessly translate between non-matching color spaces. That's what it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi D Fosse! I have the same exact problem as stated in this post, I tried everything, updated / reinstalled Photoshop & Lightroom Classic and still the same issue occur. Any other idea how to resolve this issue? I would really appreciate the help, it's driving me insane!! Thanks so much in advance 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2019 Mar 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

thanks so much for all the feedback
not had time to reply
So luckily i have a laptop and that didn't have this problem, so i caught up with work on that.

The cloud was saying i was totally up to date but i wasn't on the desk top, this seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks again for all the input there was a lot of things about colour correction i didin't know so that has also been really useful

JohanElzenga​ Per Berntsen​ D Fosse​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiii! I have the same exact problem as yours, I tried everything, updated / reinstalled Photoshop & Lightroom Classic and still the same issue occur. Any other idea how to resolve this issue? I would really appreciate the help, it's driving me insane!! Thanks so much in advance 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines