Highlighted

colour changes when exporting to hard drive

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom 5 which worked beautifully on my old Mac but now (after a break of a couple of years) I'm using my new Dell I've found that I get my photo absolutely perfect in the develop screen of Lightoom but when I export it to my hard drive it come out really orangey and oversaturated and more contrasty. It looks like someone has put a cheap instagram filter over it. I've read so much stuff in the last couple of days about colour spaces and I've changed it to every combination I can think of in the export screen but whatever I do it comes out the same. I'm not very technical so colour space is a new concept to me. I never had this trouble on my Mac. I just used to develop and save and they were perfect. It seems I can't change the way the photo appears in the develop screen either so at least I could see what it was going to look like before I export it. I've read a lot of similar queries but they all seemed to be solved by changing the colour space in the export screen but that isn't changing anything for me. I rarely print my photos and the main thing I'd do with them is either put them on Flickr or social media or just keep them on my hard drive. I experimentally put one on facebook to see if the colour would be rendered differently on the internet and it still looked orangey.

I just want to be able to save the photo I've spent all that time and effort developing. 

If it makes a difference I import my photos as RAW files. 

Any ideas? Please nothing overly technical in the replies would be very much appreciated. I'm good at taking photos, not good with computer stuff!

Topics

Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

colour changes when exporting to hard drive

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom 5 which worked beautifully on my old Mac but now (after a break of a couple of years) I'm using my new Dell I've found that I get my photo absolutely perfect in the develop screen of Lightoom but when I export it to my hard drive it come out really orangey and oversaturated and more contrasty. It looks like someone has put a cheap instagram filter over it. I've read so much stuff in the last couple of days about colour spaces and I've changed it to every combination I can think of in the export screen but whatever I do it comes out the same. I'm not very technical so colour space is a new concept to me. I never had this trouble on my Mac. I just used to develop and save and they were perfect. It seems I can't change the way the photo appears in the develop screen either so at least I could see what it was going to look like before I export it. I've read a lot of similar queries but they all seemed to be solved by changing the colour space in the export screen but that isn't changing anything for me. I rarely print my photos and the main thing I'd do with them is either put them on Flickr or social media or just keep them on my hard drive. I experimentally put one on facebook to see if the colour would be rendered differently on the internet and it still looked orangey.

I just want to be able to save the photo I've spent all that time and effort developing. 

If it makes a difference I import my photos as RAW files. 

Any ideas? Please nothing overly technical in the replies would be very much appreciated. I'm good at taking photos, not good with computer stuff!

Topics

Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the make and model of your monitor?

It sounds like you have a wide gamut monitor, and are viewing images in applications without color management.

No native Windows 10 applications are color managed, that includes Photos and the Edge browser, and over saturation is inevitable with these applications on a wide gamut monitor.

The solution is to use color managed applications to view your work.

You can use the free Adobe Bridge, or a third party image viewer like  FastStone, which is free for personal use.

Color management has to be turned on in Settings, and both boxes in the dialog box must be checked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2020 1
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

It is a Dell XPS 15 7590 laptop. I have checked and it is a wide Gamut monitor.

I have just downloaded Adobe Bridge. I'm still getting to grips with it but my photo shows the right colours in the thumbnail but I can't see a way to view the full version which doesn't open the windows photo viewer, which then makes it look orangey again. I also had to re-export the image to get the thumbnail to show the correct colours, which makes me think that it's not just the colour rendering of my windows applications that are showing wrong, but that it is actually embedded in the photo data. Sorry if I'm not using the correct technical terms but it's not really something I have a lot of experience with!

I forgot to mention that I also sent the edited photo to my phone and it still looked the horrible orangey version on there too. Would a phone have a wide gamut screen? If all my devices show it in the oversaturated version then I wish there was a way I could just see that version when I'm editing the photo. It does seem ridiculous to me that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to view my photo as I edited it. The top picture in this screenshot is how I want the photo to look and the bigger one is how it keeps showing.{CAD08B4E-EF2E-470E-98F2-FB8BC17227CA}.png.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2020 0
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why Bridge displayed over saturated thumbnails, maybe a glitch.

But the over saturation is not embedded in the image data.

You might find FastStone a better choice, it lets you view the full image, and it also displays thumbnails, so you don't need to use Bridge.

Press F12 to go to settings, then go to the CMS tab.

Check both boxes, then restart the application to make it aware of the monitor profile.

Faststone-settings.png

I wish there was a way I could just see that version when I'm editing the photo. It does seem ridiculous to me that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to view my photo as I edited it.

Most people don't have wide gamut monitors, and will not see over saturation.

You definitely don't want to reduce saturation when editing, then most people will see a desaturated image.

You have no control over how other people will see them, so stop worrying about it. If they have a wide gamut monitor, and use applications without color management, they will see all images over saturated, and your images won't stick out.

All you can do is to edit them so that they look correct in Lightroom on your screen, export with the sRGB profile, and hope for the best.

As for phones, they are not color managed, and can not be expected to display correct colors.

Your phone might have some color settings that you can try out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2020 0
minda LATEST
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for delayed response. Thanks for the advice. Faststone seems to have done the trick for me! Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2020 0
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If what you see in Develop no longer matches outside of LR, the issue is whatever application you’re now using isn’t color managed. Or it would match. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2020 0