Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour shift issue LR-PS

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I'm hoping there will be a few others who have experienced this issue and may shed some light on the problem:

I edit my portraits in LR2015. When I then export to PS2020 for further editing a colour shift takes place. The skin becomes more saturated (not ideal) and there is a subtle contrast boost overall. This appears to be a recent issue. 

Lightroom is currently instructed to use the following when editing externally in PS:

File format: PSD
colour space: proPhotoRGB
Bit Depth: 16 
Resolution: 240

My Working Space in PS2020 is:

ProPhotoRGB

Preserve Embedded Profiles

Please see attached screen shots of my settings. 

Any help is greatly appeciated. 

Andrew

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

<slaps forehead>

Lightroom 2015, I should have seen that...wasn't that before the camera profile overhaul? We had lots of posts about that. Lightroom uses one profile, for instance Adobe Standard - and then when ACR opens the image into Photoshop, the new profile Adobe Color is used. So the image changes, more color, more contrast.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please confirm what version of Lightroom  you are using.

If you really are using version CC 2015, that could be the cause of the problem.

For consistent colors, Camera Raw versions in Lightroom and Photoshop should match.

The latest version of Lightroom Classic is 10, CC 2015 was also known as version 6, so you are four versions behind.

To insert screenshots, pleas use the Insert Photos icon in the toolbar, so that we don't have to download them.

Insert-photos.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Per. 

Please see below for my current Lightroom CC 2015 info. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 17.01.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a Mac user, but I see from your screenshot that you're using Mac OS 10.13.6 – High Sierra.

The latest version of Lightroom requires at least 10.14 (Mojave), and Catalina is recommended.

So is it possible to update to Catalina?

I also see that you only have 8 GB RAM, you really need 16 to run Lightroom and Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<slaps forehead>

Lightroom 2015, I should have seen that...wasn't that before the camera profile overhaul? We had lots of posts about that. Lightroom uses one profile, for instance Adobe Standard - and then when ACR opens the image into Photoshop, the new profile Adobe Color is used. So the image changes, more color, more contrast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Have responded in full on the parallel thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm really not a fan of Adobe Color getting substituted for Adobe Standard without a by-your-leave!

It's worth mentioning here, that there are two modes by which PS and LR can work together.

One way is for ACR to subcontract the job of rendering the Raw conversion and other adjustments, onto the source image data. This leads to as-yet-un-saved image being seen in Photoshop in the first instance. This rendering necessarily relies on how well ACR can interpret and understand LR metadata, and with the aid of what resources (such as colour profiles). 

The other way is for LR itself to render the Raw conversions and other adjustments into a file. So PS then directly opens an already-saved TIFF/PSD, in which ACR has had no involvement. ACR-LR communication oddities simply cease to be an issue in such a case - it is fully WYSIWYG.

This latter behaviour happens automatically when LR detects that an image's Process Version is sufficiently newer than ACR's capability, that ACR is expected not to render the image into bitmap as intended. But if it doesn't (in edge cases) this behaviour can still be "forced" by making and using an additional external editor preset - as would be used when sending out to any non-Photoshop external editor. That method does not facilitate Open in PS as HDR; Open in PS as Pano; Open in PS as Layers; Open in PS as Smart Object - these all require ACR as an intermediary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines