Highlighted

Combining Multiple Preset Folders

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently downloaded 2 preset packs from the same source/artist. I want to combine the two groups so that all of the presets are under just one heading.

I know I could move the presets one-by-one (which, though tedious, should theoretically work), but one of these packs does not give the option to Rename the group or to Move presets within that group.

Fix?

Correct answer by whboggs | Community Beginner

SOLUTION:

This was a pain in the neck but I figured out a fix! It's not perfect because you'll still have to manually edit each source .xmp file and then manually drag each preset to its desired location - so if anyone finds another solution please let me know! I recommend saving a backup in case you mess something up.

1. Open the source .xmp file in Notepad++
  2. Scroll down until you see something like this:

<crs:Name>
    <rdf:Alt>
     <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">PM BLUE SHADOWS and the sky is amazing and then people's skin, man their skin looks lustrous.</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Alt>
   </crs:Name>
   <crs:ShortName>
     <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">PM BLUE SHADOWS</rdf:li>
   </crs:ShortName>
   <crs:SortName>
     <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">01</rdf:li>
   </crs:SortName>
   <crs:Group>
     <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">PM V3</rdf:li>
   </crs:Group>​

3. Under crs:Group, where you see "PM V3" in the snippet above, this text is the name of the group that Lightroom will auto-assign the files to. Delete just that text so that the line looks like this:

<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default"></rdf:li>

4. This will solve your problem

Note that you will still have to manually click and drag your presets into whichever folder you want them to belong to.

Additionally, Notice the line under crs:SortName showing:

The "01" here tells Lightroom to display this item first in the list. To make the item appear in its appropriate alphabetical location, simply delete the "01" so that the line looks like this:

TOPICS
Import and export, Presets or profiles, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Combining Multiple Preset Folders

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently downloaded 2 preset packs from the same source/artist. I want to combine the two groups so that all of the presets are under just one heading.

I know I could move the presets one-by-one (which, though tedious, should theoretically work), but one of these packs does not give the option to Rename the group or to Move presets within that group.

Fix?

Correct answer by whboggs | Community Beginner

SOLUTION:

This was a pain in the neck but I figured out a fix! It's not perfect because you'll still have to manually edit each source .xmp file and then manually drag each preset to its desired location - so if anyone finds another solution please let me know! I recommend saving a backup in case you mess something up.

1. Open the source .xmp file in Notepad++
  2. Scroll down until you see something like this:

<crs:Name>
     <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">PM BLUE SHADOWS and the sky is amazing and then people's skin, man their skin looks lustrous.</rdf:li>
   </crs:Name>
   <crs:ShortName>
     <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">PM BLUE SHADOWS</rdf:li>
   </crs:ShortName>
   <crs:SortName>
   </crs:SortName>
   <crs:Group>
     <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">PM V3</rdf:li>
   </crs:Group>​

3. Under crs:Group, where you see "PM V3" in the snippet above, this text is the name of the group that Lightroom will auto-assign the files to. Delete just that text so that the line looks like this:

4. This will solve your problem

Note that you will still have to manually click and drag your presets into whichever folder you want them to belong to.

Additionally, Notice the line under crs:SortName showing:

The "01" here tells Lightroom to display this item first in the list. To make the item appear in its appropriate alphabetical location, simply delete the "01" so that the line looks like this:

TOPICS
Import and export, Presets or profiles, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 18, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"one of these packs does not give the option to Rename the group or to Move presets within that group"

What happens when you try to drag a preset from the group into the other group?

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't do anything. It's not even movable within its current group.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't do anything. It's not even movable within its current group.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2020 0
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It doesn't do anything. It's not even movable within its current group."

You may have manually placed these presets in the system folders where Adobe places its built-in presets. There is lots of outdated and bad advice out there on how to install LR presets using Mac Finder / Windows File Explorer.  You should only import presets using LR's import commands, letting LR place the presets in the correct folders.

To clean this up, you'll need to remove the presets and then import them correctly. Your screenshot indicates you're on Windows. So:

1. Start Windows File Explorer and look in:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings

Use File Explorer search if necessary within that folder.

2. Once you find the presets, use File Explorer to move them to a folder on your desktop. 

3. Restart LR.

4. Select a photo and go to Develop.

5. Do the menu command File > Import Develop Profiles And Presets. Navigate to the desktop folder and select all the .xmp files you placed there, and then click Import.

The presets will then be placed in the correct folder under C:\Users\<user> and you will be able to reorganize them using drag-and-drop in the Presets panel.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this. The files were already located under the following directory:

C:\Users\whboggs\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\ImportedSettings

I deleted all of the target files out of this location and tried creating a new folder on my desktop then extracting the zipped .xmp files into it. Then, I used the + "Add New Presets" button in Lightroom Classic to import the files from the new folder. Lightroom still sorts the presets under their original Folder names and the files in the problem group are still unable to be moved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Lightroom still sorts the presets under their original Folder names and the files in the problem group are still unable to be moved."

Ack. Can you upload one of the presets to Dropbox or similar and send me a private message with a link to it?  (Click on my username at the top of the post to send me a private message.)  I'd like to rule out the possibility there's something special about the preset (though I don't know what that might be).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0