• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Compressing a scanned image that will not lose resolution when enlarged on website

New Here ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am trying to scan book covers, which I then filter through Lightroom classic to keep the file size small enough not too bog down my website. When I go to explode the image on my website I lose all detail and only get fuzzy images. The larger the image goes the fuzzier and loss of detail becomes. Is there anyway Lightroom  can compress the image but can still be enlarged on my site with the hgh resolution intact?

Any help is most appreciated and thank you in advance!

CP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Lightroom has the feature you are looking for. Lightroom has the capability to export an image at specific sizes, but that's about as far as it goes. I'm not familiar with other tools that do what you need, but it will take something other than Lightroom, I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the pixel dimensions of the original image?

At what pixel dimensions do you want to display the image on the website?

Can you post a link to the image on the website?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, here is the link to the website:

https://peeweecomics.com/product/chamber-of-chills-2-vg-1973-marvel-comics/

I hope this is what you meant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When I go to explode the image on my website I lose all detail and only get fuzzy images."

Yes, this is expected, if you export highly compressed or downsized image. The only way to avoid the fuzzy images when you upload them is to upload the full size image, but you said you didn't want to do that. So, these are tradeoffs, you can't have both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, how do other websites produce a large exploding image without degradation of the image?

Are these images off site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give an example of such a web site.

And please provide the dimensions of the original image and the compressed image, as requested earlier by Per Berntsen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote:

Thank you, how do other websites produce a large exploding image without degradation of the image?

Are these images off site?

End Quote:

They use a Large image size and the web software downsizes it for display on a page. Then when Clicked the original image is loaded in a new viewing window.

No they are not off site. Whatever company you are talking about has enough resources to buy and or own enough web storage space to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the image you posted has too small pixel dimensions, so it looks bad when enlarged.

Most images on the site display at 995 pixels height when enlarged, so I suggest that you export the image with this height.

Choose Long edge and 995 pixels under Image sizing in the Export dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two ways this is normally done for a website.

1. Upload both a small size image and a big size image. Each of the two get displayed as needed. This maximizes the quality for each image size.

2. Upload the large size image. To display the small image, the large size image is downloaded to the client's web browser and is then scaled down to the desired small size. This often times will slightly degrade the small-size image due to the lack of sharpening after the downsizing. Viewing the large size is then instantainious since the file was already downloaded for the small-size image. This will eat up more bandwidth for the client if they tend not to view the large-size image.

Websites that specialize in the displaying of photos will usually have you upload the large-size image then create all the needed smaller sizes in the background on the server side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Because you haven't shared with us much info, I will make a couple assumptions:

1. The comic books are about 10 x 6 2/3 inches.
2. You left your flat-bed scanner at its default 300 dpi.

So the scanned images were 3000 x 2000 pixels. Perhaps a bit more on the short side, because my browser shows them as 900 x 613.

My two bits: I would down-size to 1500 x 1000 for uploading to the web. For a couple reasons; first,  downsampling is better when it is down by a whole divisor, e.g. 1/2, 1/4, etc. Second, 1500 x 1000 retains a good bit of resolution while giving a jpg that is easy on the band-width, exporting at quality 80 in LR should give a jpg of about  650 Kb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines