Confused how meta data is saved

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i always shot JPEG+RAW before my last shooting and rated the JPEGs.

When i switched to rating these RAWs instead of the JPEGs it created a XMP-file in the folder of the images with the meta data.

Now i shot my first shooting with uncompressed RAWs only. I rated them in Lightroom but it didnt create any meta files in my explorer. How are the ratings and edits saved, in case im switching to a new pc or reinstalling windows? Anything i need to enable in the settings?

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Confused how meta data is saved

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i always shot JPEG+RAW before my last shooting and rated the JPEGs.

When i switched to rating these RAWs instead of the JPEGs it created a XMP-file in the folder of the images with the meta data.

Now i shot my first shooting with uncompressed RAWs only. I rated them in Lightroom but it didnt create any meta files in my explorer. How are the ratings and edits saved, in case im switching to a new pc or reinstalling windows? Anything i need to enable in the settings?

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 16, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The metadata is automatically saved into the LR catalog file. You cannot turn this off. So if you switch to a new computer, you will need to copy the catalog file (and the photos too) to the new computer.

If you want XMP files created automatically:

I think you have to turn on the option in Lightroom Classic

Catalog Settings->metadata->Automatically Write Changes into XMP

Please note: some items are not saved to XMP and are only in the catalog. Thus, for transferring to a new computer, you would not use the XMP files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Images are on 3 different storage devices, would that be a problem for the LR catalog file to identify if i switch the location of the images on a new pc?

what strategy would you recommend to keep the ratings save?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2020 0
WobertC LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to a new computer- read from  Move Lightroom to a new computer? | The Lightroom Queen 

to keep the ratings safe? Backup your CATALOG. BACKUP- WHAT FILES? 

CATALOG-FIND AND MOVE

3 different storage devices- Not a problem if you leave the photo files esactly where they are, and then re-link those '3 storage devies' to the catalog after Catalaog has been moved to the new computer.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.1, Photoshop 22.1, Lightroom 4.1, Windows-10 Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2020 0