• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

confused

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom 6 running as an APP on my PC. I am trying to do a tutorial on online Lightoom and am being told to upgrade to Classic. I have logged into my adobe account and there  is no evidence of lightroom in My Account.   THere is a record of a registration of a Lightroom Version: (Blank) 

Platform: Multiple on 23rd November 2016.  I am tring to understand what I am actually using.  Can anyone help? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

"I am trying to do a tutorial on online Lightoom and am being told to upgrade to Classic."

Lightroom 6 has no online services, it does not allow you to synchronize your photos with some cloud storage from Adobe. If you want online servies, you do need to upgrade.

To find out what version of Lightroom you are using, go to Help->System Info and the line under System Name will indicate what version of Lightroom or Lightroom Classic you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

When you upgrade or update any version of Lightroom, you first install the new application. Then when you launch it you ask it to launch your previous catalog . You can do this by holding down the Option (mac) Alt (PC) key as you launch the application. THis opens a dialog box that asks which LR catalog you want to open. If you select your previous catalog, it will tell you that LR needs to update the older catalog to work with the newer software. It does not delete your older catalog, but inste

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am trying to do a tutorial on online Lightoom and am being told to upgrade to Classic."

Lightroom 6 has no online services, it does not allow you to synchronize your photos with some cloud storage from Adobe. If you want online servies, you do need to upgrade.

To find out what version of Lightroom you are using, go to Help->System Info and the line under System Name will indicate what version of Lightroom or Lightroom Classic you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, the newer Lightroom Classic has many advantages over LR6. Nevertheless, we understand a lot of people do not want to upgrade!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks yes I am using a Lightroom 6 desktop installed  package. If I choose to  upgrade will all my catalogue on desktop move to new Classic version?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If I choose to upgrade will all my catalogue on desktop move to new Classic version?"

Yes (well, it doesn't actually "move", but the new Lightroom Classic will use it and upgrade it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you upgrade or update any version of Lightroom, you first install the new application. Then when you launch it you ask it to launch your previous catalog . You can do this by holding down the Option (mac) Alt (PC) key as you launch the application. THis opens a dialog box that asks which LR catalog you want to open. If you select your previous catalog, it will tell you that LR needs to update the older catalog to work with the newer software. It does not delete your older catalog, but instead, rebuilds your older catalog and adds a -2 or something like that to the name. 

I always recommend you make a duplicate copy of your current catalog  folder - which includes the lightroom catalog.lrcat, the Lightroom catalog PReview.lrdata and the Lightroom catalog helper.lrdata., and copy it to another location, prefereably on another drive. to be extra safe, I eprsonally also find my Lightroom settings folder and copy that to another drive to make a duplicate. Then you can install the new LR and proceed as I mentioned above. After the upgrade, you will have your previous catalog - renamed with something like a -2,  your older catalog with its original name, and your older catalog on that other drive.  

I suggest you work with the now updated catalog, make sure all is as you expect, and then make sure your preferences are as you had them.  If all it good you can delete the older catalog. 

I may be nerdy and make many backups of folders, and files, and photos, however this nerdy system has kept me safe over the 26 plus years I have been working with Adobe products!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you... to you & the OP.... I thought I was the only one who hadn't made the switch to the subscription service... but the time has come.  I'm still a bit salty, but too tired to fight it anymore.  All my collections, books, geotags, etc, will come along for the ride, yes?

Thanks again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks for detailed help with this.  Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines