• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Confusing problem with importing and catalog

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Lightroom Classic 10.0 on my MacBook Pro running OS 10.14.6, I'm importing images from the card used in my Canon camera to an external SSD. This is a process I've done hundreds of times.

I have a folder in the SSD, which contains my images, named '2020' and all the images I've added in 2020 are nested there in sub folders with the naming protocol 2020-11-23.

At some point in the recent past the imports began generating a new folder named '2020' within the folder '2020' and the days import is nested within this additional, new, 2020 folder.

Using Lightroom, I've moved the nested folders within the additional '2020' into the original '2020' folder and they sit in the expected sequence sorted by date. I then removed the empty, redundant '2020' folder to the trash. I confirmed those adjustments to the catalog in the Finder. Unfortunately I've discovered that the import dialog continues to list the redundant '2020' folder in the list of destinations in the far right panel of the Import window. I'm attaching a screenshot of the problem. 

I'm unable to discern a way to remove the folder from that list and so the process continues to add the redundant folder '2020' when I execute an import.

Interestingly, that list looks as it should until I choose the card from the Canon as a source which then adds the redundant '2020' folder to the list.

Something is corrupted but I can't figure out where. I suspect the card from the Canon but everything looks fine when I view it in the Finder and using the Finder I can add the images to the SSD, creating a properly named folder, and then import that to the catalog.

This is very kludgy and frustrating. I have reformatted the Canon's card within the camera to no avail.

Thanks for considering my problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

If your import is auto-recreating a 2020 folder even after you've deleted that, then that must be part of the date based filing scheme which it is implementing:

"YYYY /  YYYY-MM-DD".

Lightroom creates this YYYY inside the selected destination for the import, if there is not already such a subfolder there. 

So you won't get the right results if you select "2020" as your import destination. Instead, select the PARENT folder of that. Leave Lightroom to take full care of the "year" subfolders automa

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like the capitalization problem, the solution is here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/catalog-same-photos-same-location-but-shown-twice/t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your import is auto-recreating a 2020 folder even after you've deleted that, then that must be part of the date based filing scheme which it is implementing:

"YYYY /  YYYY-MM-DD".

Lightroom creates this YYYY inside the selected destination for the import, if there is not already such a subfolder there. 

So you won't get the right results if you select "2020" as your import destination. Instead, select the PARENT folder of that. Leave Lightroom to take full care of the "year" subfolders automatically, as well as of making the "day" sub-subfolders inside each one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your timely reply.  You gave wonderful advice and I'm all set now.  Again many thanks for taking the time to help!

Weaselady

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reply from @richardplondon is correct IMO.

And I had a 'good go' at answering this type of question here-

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/how-to-get-rid-of-subfolder-on-import-of-photos-lr-...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines