• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Consolidating in one folder multiple folders already imported with LRC

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made the mistake initially to make a different folder for each camera, and within each camera folder pictures are in folders by name.

I would have liked to import all fiels in the same folder and organize them by date, knowingly that I will work by event or theme in a collection named by the event, or so.

Sometimes I use two cameras for the same event and they end up in their folder by camera un a subfolder by date, and it makes more difficul sometimes if I just want to go back to a date and a camera, having to navigate different folders for that matter.

I woudl like to reorder my fotos in a pictures forlders just by date without lossing the edits already recorded by lighroom.

How should I proceed?

Thanks in advance....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and it makes more difficul sometimes if I just want to go back to a date and a camera, having to navigate different folders for that matter.

Use the Filter Bar. This will select all photos on a given date regardless of folder. That's a whole lot easier than moving photos and folders around, just to do what the Filter Bar does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

I agree with dj_paige that the easiest way to cope with the old folders is to use the Library Filter Bar to filter your photos by capture date.  You can define a custom filter bar preset that automatically opens the Date column of the Metadata browser:

Untitled.png

However, I do find having my photos organized by dated folders convenient. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to reorganize your already imported photos into dated folders (lots of people have asked for that over the years).  Your alternatives:

- In LR (not Finder / File Explorer), manually drag photos into their new folders in the Folders panel.

- Select all the photos in the old photos and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File. Then remove them from the LR catalog and reimport them. BUT NOTE CAREFULLY: While this will retain all your edits and changes to metadata, you'll lose stacking, which collections those photos were in, membership of the photos in books, and some other metadata that doesn't get recorded by Save Metadata To File. If you try this, do it with a few photos first, and make sure you have two backups of your catalog.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John. Not shown in your screen capture is that you can expand the years in the Filter Bar, to select specific month(s) or specific day(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adding

I am almost always opposed to, and advise against, rebuilding catalogs to meet a specific need, as this introduces opportunities for mistakes being made (there could be exceptions to my opinion, but nothing has been said to make me think this is an exception). Especially when the Filter Bar does exactly what you want with almost no effort at all and provides no opportunity for mistakes to be made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to what @johnrellis said, you also lose virtual copies by using the XMP/reimport method. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines