• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Consolidation-Locked] Lightroom 4 edit in problem

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased Lightroom 4 upgrade, installed it, converted my catalog, and set the preferences for "edit in" another application to Photoshop Elements 9. This works fine in Lightroom 3, but when I try to send aa photo from Lightroom 4 to Elements, nothing happens. No window to select the options, no lau=nch of Elements. Any ideas as to what is wrong? Anybody else having this problem?

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

I am having this problem too.  No external editors open using Photo>Edit In.  I'm on OS 10.7.3.

By the way, there is another thread here on this topic:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971432?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the solution. Windows 7, Lr4, PsCs5, ACR 6.7, using 2012 controls

Upgrade to ACR 6.7. It is on Adobe Labs.

Edit in Lr4 and right-click and choose "Edit in Photoshop", choose "Open Anyway"

Your file with your Lr adjustments will open in Photoshop with the Lr adjustments that you just made baked in.

Do your Photoshop edits and save as a .psd file.

The file with both your Lr edits and your Photoshop edits will pop up in your Lr catalogue with all your edits intact.

The only thing you can not do is to perform more edits on your raw file while in Photoshop. You will have to wait for ACR 7 to do so. No big deal.

Jeff Schewe told me that all your Lr edits will survive the trip to Photoshop if you are using ACR 6.7. You won't lose anything.

I am using a Canon camera. It is possible that other sorts of RAW files don't work, but I haven't seen anyone mention that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KateMann

I'm glad that you have your solution but it will not work for those of us who do not have the full version of Photoshop, as is the case with several in this thread including the originator.  In my case, I am running Photoshop Elements and ACR 6.7 RC can not be installed in it.  Some others do not use Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and just want the Edit In command to work for their third party plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kate, I appreciate the idea but I have upgraded to 6.7, I am using Canon but the problem still exists.

The file opens but it is exactly in the state that I imported it. None of my corrections have been applied. Saving back into LR displays the file as the PSD or TIFF was in PS. That is uncorrected except for my edits in PS.

What I am doing is exporting to a folder and THEN opening in PS. The corrections made in LR will hold if you export but not if you open via PS and ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@markdphoto

"The corrections made in LR will hold if you export but not if you open via PS and ACR."

Are you using the "edit in function" from within Lightroom to send the photo to PS / ACR or are you opening the file via PS and ACR?

If you are doing the latter then your edits will only be read if you have saved the metadata to xmp.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the "edit in function" in LR.

IOW I press command E in LR and The file is then opened in PS but without any corrections.

When I first used the command it warned me about the ACR issue. I clicked the box that says "don't show again". But I also noticed the option for "render through Lightroom". Well.... why doesn't it render through LR anyway and THEN open in PS? The bug seems to be with ACR and LR not passing on the XMP data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to right click and choose Edit in Photoshop, open anyway? You need to have ACR 6.7 installed and you need to have used the 2012 process to have it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I have. Always the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with Pixelmator. You could edit in Pixelmator in ver 3 and the LR 4 beta but not in the LR 4 release. Exporting to any program appears to be working. I'm on Mac OS 10.7.3. Anyone have a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Temporary solution for Mac Lion users and Lightroom 4.  I found a mention of this solution on another site last night and have tried it out on a Lion 10.7.3 installation and it works!  (With one caveat)

Download and install the Trial version of Photoshop CS5 and Install it.  (You do not have to start the program, just let the installer finish and quit.  Try your Lightroom 4 program and the Edit in feature should work.

On my Imac the first time I run Lightroom after a restart I have access to all three edit in options, Edit a copy with Lightroom Adjustments, Edit a copy and Edit original.   After that first run the only option that works is the Edit a copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

This has restored access to my Elements 10 and Nik software,  I am now going to reinstall Topaz Fusion and see if it works.

Hope this helps some of you.  It is still not the solution we want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked until I remove Photoshop, I couldn't open Pixelmator after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had issues in the past where I've had to install other programs after Lightroom to get them to be seen again-including Photoshop. I'm gonna assume people have tried reinstalling the apps that are giving trouble. For instance, my copy of onOne PPS6 seems to be working fine.. but I completely removed it and reinstalled it after LR4 (to get rid of crud from as far back as Photo Suite 4).

No, I'm making wild claims, just asking.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seán McCormack wrote:

I've had issues in the past where I've had to install other programs after Lightroom to get them to be seen again-including Photoshop. I'm gonna assume people have tried reinstalling the apps that are giving trouble. For instance, my copy of onOne PPS6 seems to be working fine.. but I completely removed it and reinstalled it after LR4 (to get rid of crud from as far back as Photo Suite 4).

No, I'm making wild claims, just asking.

Hi Seán,

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nik Silver Efex Pro and Photoshop Elements 10.  No go.  Still can't invoke any external editor using "Edit In".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That answers my question Julie, thanks. I know there's a problem, just seeing if might help, obviously not-and obviously annoying that it's happening.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seán McCormack wrote:

That answers my question Julie, thanks. I know there's a problem, just seeing if might help, obviously not-and obviously annoying that it's happening.

From what I've heard, some users who have this issue have gotten "Edit In" to work for their third party plugins by installing CS5 or Photoshop Elements 10.  The latter didn't work for me and I'm not prepared to download a trial of CS5 to test that out.  Shall have to wait for a revised version.  So sad about that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in exactly the same situation (on Mac Lion system). I have PSE9 and downloaded and installed the trial version of PSE10 but "Edit In" still did not work. I happen to have Viveza and CEP4 licences for Photoshop, so until a fix is distributed, the only feasible workaround there is, is to export an image and then load it in separately to PSE9 from which I can then access Viveza or CEP4. Save back out, and then synchronise my LR4 folder (or import back in separately).

A pain in the bum but at least it gets me moving on.

I do wish, however, that Adobe would make some sort of announcement and acknowledgement of the problem to put us at some sort of ease!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For users like me who have been hoping to hear an acknowledgement of the problem from Adobe, I want to report that I have received that from Jeff Tranberry (Chief Customer Advocate) at the feedback/support site over at Photoshop.com.  Here is the thread:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_external_editor_failure

If I'm understanding the process correctly, that will be where they will post any updates or solutions so you may wish to follow that thread.  It's a start, I suppose. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify my temporary solution for Lion users.   Download and install the trial version of PHOTOSHOP CS5.    I do not think any other versions will work.

You don't have to use the trial version, It just has to be installed and present on your computer.  Do not remove it until ADOBE fixes Lightroom 4.

All of my Nik plugins are working as well as Topaz Fusion and Edit in Photoshop Elements 10.

We can only hope that ADOBE is aware of the problem and working on a fix.   From the behaviour that occurs before and after the TRIAL version of PS5 is installed, I would hazard a guess that some background routine is missing from LIghtroom 4 and it is contained in one of the support files for PS5. 

Don't forget that what we see as a program in the finder is really a special folder with a bunch of code segments and files inside it.  Right click on a program icon and you will see "Show Package Contents" Do not change anything inside without knowing what you are doing.

Hope this clears up the instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

briankilpatrick131 wrote:

To clarify my temporary solution for Lion users.   Download and install the trial version of PHOTOSHOP CS5.    I do not think any other versions will work.

You don't have to use the trial version, It just has to be installed and present on your computer.  Do not remove it until ADOBE fixes Lightroom 4.

All of my Nik plugins are working as well as Topaz Fusion and Edit in Photoshop Elements 10.

We can only hope that ADOBE is aware of the problem and working on a fix.   From the behaviour that occurs before and after the TRIAL version of PS5 is installed, I would hazard a guess that some background routine is missing from LIghtroom 4 and it is contained in one of the support files for PS5. 

Don't forget that what we see as a program in the finder is really a special folder with a bunch of code segments and files inside it.  Right click on a program icon and you will see "Show Package Contents" Do not change anything inside without knowing what you are doing.

Hope this clears up the instructions.

I really didn't want to install the trial of CS5 but this thing was plaguing me so I decided to anyway.  As you and others have reported, doing this has made it possible for me to send images to Nik SEP and to Photoshop Elements 10 via the "Edit In" command.  I am now wondering......will the CS5 trial expire after 30 days if I leave it unused or does the clock start running upon initial launching of the program? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Julie,

I don't know if the trial will expire just sitting there but other trial software has to be started before the countdown begins.

BTW  Don't use the CMD E key to launch an external editor or it tries to launch PS5.  You have a chance to cancel while it is asking you if you want to edit a copy etc.

On my system  LR4 creates a copy of the Catalogs and appends a 2 to the file name.  I can still open the old catalogs with LR3.  So I will run both versions until Adobe posts a proper solution. Once 4 is running properly I will backup and archive the old catalogs and program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

briankilpatrick131 wrote:

Julie,

I don't know if the trial will expire just sitting there but other trial software has to be started before the countdown begins.

BTW  Don't use the CMD E key to launch an external editor or it tries to launch PS5.  You have a chance to cancel while it is asking you if you want to edit a copy etc.

On my system  LR4 creates a copy of the Catalogs and appends a 2 to the file name.  I can still open the old catalogs with LR3.  So I will run both versions until Adobe posts a proper solution. Once 4 is running properly I will backup and archive the old catalogs and program.

Thanks.  I'm probably going to just go back to LR3 but at least I have an option now.  Appreciate your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I tried exactly as advised (download and install trial of CS5) and just left it. Run up LR4 and then my plugins from the Edit In menu work just as I remember!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to suggest that everyone having this problem should go to the following link (Lightoom feedback forum) and do two things; reply to the thread and vote on it:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_external_editor_failure

While most people are talking about this bug here on the user-to-user forum, the Lightroom feedback forum is actually the one that Adobe Forums directs us to for bug reporting.  It has taken the place of the old bug report/feature request process.  As opposed to this forum, that one is actually monitored by an Adobe rep and a system is in place for updating users on the progress of a bug report.  At this stage, the bug is "acknowledged" and the rep has indicated he will keep users informed.

Please do register your complaint in the referenced thread so that Adobe can get an idea how many are affected by this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and same problem with edit in and I don't use photoshop or nik plug ins....definitly a problem with lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Everyone just wanted to let option 2 on this post worked for me.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401629.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines