• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Constant Kernel Panic

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC and it's become a constant problem where when I am saving a photo in Photoshop with Lightroom open as well, the computer will experience a kernel panic and shut down.  The report seems to indicate that it is Lightroom that is causing the problem.  I'm running 10.12.5 on a 2017 iMac. Here is a look at the report.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Turning off the GPU will have no influence on this. On Macs that just isn't an issue and it definitely won't cause kernel panics. Kernel panics like you are seeing here are due to hardware issues or to some really deep lying software problems. From the kernel trace above iI would HIGHLY suspect the Symantec antivirus software you have loaded that is causing your crashes. You might want to get rid of that or make sure it is at the most recent version. Antivirus software in many cases is worse tha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi markophoto2013,

Sorry about the system shutdown and kernel based error you're getting while exporting/saving images from Lightroom and Photoshop.

Could you please check if the issue persists if you uncheck "use graphics processor" under Preferences> Performance menu in Lightroom?

Lightroom GPU troubleshooting

Also, which exact version of Photoshop and Lightroom are you using?

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've unchecked the graphics processor box and will see how it does.  Also I'm using PS CC 2017.1.1 and LR CC 2015.12.  I recently updated LR when this problem occurred but it didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized that when I thought I had updated LR I was actually installing the LR Classic app.  I'm having the problem with the LR 2015.12 app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, the latest version of Lightroom and Photoshop are 7.3.1(Classic CC) and 19.1.4 respectively. I wonder if you're using the older versions for any specific reason? Try updating to the latest versions of both the apps and let us know if that helps.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akash,

I've switched to Lightroom Classic and have the graphics processor turned off but I am still experiencing crashes.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off the GPU will have no influence on this. On Macs that just isn't an issue and it definitely won't cause kernel panics. Kernel panics like you are seeing here are due to hardware issues or to some really deep lying software problems. From the kernel trace above iI would HIGHLY suspect the Symantec antivirus software you have loaded that is causing your crashes. You might want to get rid of that or make sure it is at the most recent version. Antivirus software in many cases is worse than what it attempts to cure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input.  I'll try uninstalling Symantec.  I don't know how to read these panic reports but did you also see the line towards the top mentioning Lighroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that just means the main process running was Lightroom. Doesn't necessarily mean that that is what crashed the computer but could be a routine that it called. The possible cause indicated is rather unhelpful. Mutexes and spins are all over multithreaded programming. A mutex is an access "semaphore" that makes sure that regions of memory or files do not get written to by two threads at once. As you might imagine that is rather a generic thing so the trace doesn't tell us much. It dis show me you were using symantec AV software which is well known to cause kernel panics as it embeds itself in the kernel as a gatekeeper to all file access. Applications like Lightroom very strongly stresses such AV software because they do a lot of file access (to the catalog file, preview databases, etc.) and can expose bugs in the AV code easily that other software doesn't often show. Don't know if this is the issue but something worthwhile to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao, I uninstalled the Norton anti virus and have not had another kernel panic since then.  Thanks so much for your help and time.  I just marked your response as "correct" above.  No more lost work! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it!

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 5:58 PM markophoto2013 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you possibly help me?!? Im

javign the same problem as mentioned above and don't know what to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Leigh-Anne98A4says:

"Could you possibly help me?!? Im javign the same problem as mentioned above and don't know what to do!"

My recommendation about what to do is start a brand new thread, describe the problem in detail, and provide all basic information, including:

Adobe Forum.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 🙂 I have and I received no responses. I'll try again 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And did you try the suggestions made already in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines