• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

converting from LR 5.0 to 1TB subscription plan

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a legacy LR 5.0 user who cannot afford to lose my keyword tags and folder hierarchy by moving to Lightroom CC. But if I sign up for the $19.99/mon LR plan, can I use new Lightroom Classic to access and edit photos on my hard drive and only use the 1TB of cloud storage that comes with the plan to store my 600GB photo archive for backup purposes? Or will uploading my photos to the cloud force me to use  Lightroom CC? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try some answers as I understand them-

(Lightroom-Classic is the upgraded Lightroom v5.0.  Lightroom is the 'new' Cloud based editor.   "CC" is no longer used in software names.)

I'm a legacy LR 5.0 user who cannot afford to lose my keyword tags and folder hierarchy by moving to Lightroom CC.

You will likely lose both!  The 'Cloud' ecosystem does not support a Folder Hierarchy it uses Date based sort, or Albums, and Keywords do not sync between the Lightroom (Flat) & Lightroom-Classic (Hierarchal) keyword systems.

But if I sign up for the $19.99/mon LR plan,

No. Because the 'Lightroom Plan' does NOT include Lightroom-Classic! (the v5 replacement). You would need to subscribe to the 'Photography Plan 1TB' for US$19.99 to have both Lightroom & Lightroom-Classic with 1Tb.

can I use new Lightroom Classic to access and edit photos on my hard drive

Yes. Just as before with v5.

and only use the 1TB of cloud storage that comes with the plan to store my 600GB photo archive for backup purposes?

No. The Cloud is not a place for a Backup archive! Buy an external Hard-drive to Backup files.

Or will uploading my photos to the cloud force me to use  Lightroom CC? Thanks.

Yes. Lightroom  does require you to 'import' your photos to Cloud storage, but again, it is not a Backup situation!

It gets complicated! You need to decide which software version is going to be the 'Master' and stick with that.

COMPARE LR & LR-CLASSIC (Lr Queen)

! lightroom-cc-vs-lightroom-classic.html

I upgraded from Lr5 to Lr-Classic (Photography Plan 20Gb) some time ago. Lr-Classic is my 'Master'. All my original files are stored locally and backed up to local drives.  I sync selected photos in Collections to the Cloud where I can edit them on my iPhone (using Lr-Mobile) or on my Laptop when travelling (using Lr-Desktop v4.1 )

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have some grave misconception.

First there is no Lightroom CC. That name, the CC part, was retired several years ago.

There are 3 versions of the Lr program.

Lr Classic (LrC) which is the Traditional version of Lr. Just like Lr 5 that you are currently using only updated with new feature and only available in the Subscription model.

Lr Desktop (LrD) which is the newer version that is Tied to Adobe Cloud system (Cloud Based) but only runs on REAL Desktop and Notebook Computers.

And

Lr Mobile (LrM) which is the version for mobile devices that run iOS and Android operating systems.

Then of course the Web (Cloud) version that runs in a Web Browser from over the internet.

If you sign up for the Photography plan for $9.99 a month you get LrC, Ps and LrM (I guess you can also install LrD) but only 20GBs of Online storage space (NOTE that when you upload images as Smart Preview from LrC collections (the only way to upload images from LrC) those Smart Preview are NOT Counted against your 20GBs of storage space).

The only time the Adobe Online storage space is used is IF you upload images from the LrM app or if you specifically use the Web interface and manually copy (Upload) images through the Web interface.

You can and Should move your Lr 5 catalog file over to LrC and it will be converted to a style that works properly with the newer version of LrC and WILL PRESERVE all your editing, Keywords, Collections, Labeling, Staring and whatever else you can think of just like it was in the Lr 5 Catalog file.

IMHO you do not need 1TB of storage space and you Should NOT use ANY Online storage system as a reliable solution for backing up any and all of your important files including your image files. That should be done locally and maybe some online system as a secondary, Just In Case everything else fails, solution. But IMHO NOT your First step in secure backup plan.

So FIRST STOP Using the CC after the word Lightroom. None of the current versions of Lr have CC in the names of the programs and or interfaces.

It will only confuse you and whoever you are talking to about whichever Lr program you want help with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much appreciated. Nice to hear from two who understand LR issues. I've looked on line for answers, but that's the first time I've heard about 3 not 2 versions.

1) I'll figure out a local solution for backup. That's one concern solved. 

2) More importantly though, I seemingly just received 2 different answers to my question about preserving keyword tags and folder hierarchy. My highest two priorities, in order: a) preserving keyword tags and folder hiearchyl b) being able to access and edit from both my desktop PC and my laptop (I'll never need to access/edit from a cell phone.) I'd be happy to pay for the $19.99/mon Photography plan to achieve both, but I think I'm hearing that's not possible - or is it? Maybe my best hope to achieve both priorities is to subscribe to the $19.99/mon Photography Plan, use the new LrC and use an external drive to hold my Lr catalog so I can switch it back and forth between desktop and laptop. That said, I'm still troubled about the two different answers to preserving my keyword tags and folder hierarchy. If I use the new LrC and access my catalog from a movable external hard drive, will my keywords and folders be preserved? I will GREATLY appreciate any response, and your continuing support!

Thank you, I've literally been struggling to make a decision for months.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion the Cloud based version is a Very Bad idea.

If you want to Edit, have Access, to All your images from 2 different computers then what you need to do is put all your images on an External drive and also place the catalog file on that same external drive.

You can then Open that catalog on either computer and have total access to all your images. This works best when you are using the same Kind of computer (Each computer is using the same operating system) and the external drive is getting the same exact Drive letter, or has the same Drive Name for Mac's, on each computer.

Sorry I did not read @Rob_Cullen reply but I, being a long time user of the Traditional version of Lr, would not even think about switching to the Cloud based version.

It is something completely new and does not retain certain options as far as editing that are included in the traditional version and I have no idea if it even uses a Catalog file and or if older versions of Lr (traditional versions) catalog can be imported, Used in any way, with the Cloud Based version.

I willl not throw away all the work I have done in the REAL Lr over the last 14 years.

I have the mobile version on my phone. I use it to Upload images I take with my phone to the Web system and then down to my computer and LrC. But those are few and infrequent (I use my Cell/Smart phone as a PHONE with some added features and options if I need them).

I also use it to show people some of my images that I have synced to the Web/Mobile system form LrC.

I do not sync all my images as I have no need to have all of them accessible on my phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again!

And that's what you did, and that allowed you to retain your keyword tags and folder hierarchy while using LrC? And for that reason, there's no need to upload my photo files or catalog to the cloud.

Will the $9.99/mon plan give me LrC? If so, and because there's no need to upload files to the cloud, there's no need to pay extra for the 1TB and the Photography Plan? If that's all true, you've saved me $120 a year for years to come, and I am indebted to you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!!!

When converting, Upgrading, any older Lr (Traditional Version) catalog to a Newer one all of your original work is retained. I have been using the SAME EXACT Catalog since Version 1 of Lr. It has just been Upgraded, converted, many times from older to newer to work with the newer versions of Lr over the years (14 year).

But as I stated in a previous reply the older version is COPIED, so the older version catalog remains In Tact, and that Copy is converted, Upgrade, to work with the newer version of Lr.

So If you want to Nit Pick I am not actually using the Same catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the $9.99/mon plan give me LrC?

There are at least two different $9.99 plans. The one you want, with Lightroom Classic, is called the Photography Plan. The other one, that you don't want because it does not have Lightroom Classic, is called the Lightroom Plan. (Thanks again, Adobe, for the confusing naming)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!! The $9.99 Photography Plan Subscription will Give YOU LrC, Photoshop and LrM for your phone and Pad.

I thought I covered that before?

As stated by @dj_paige The Photography Plan is the one you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you covered that before, but then the OP came away thinking the $9.99 plan is what he should look for, that's the one he wants ... when in fact that's not what he should be looking for because there are at least two different $9.99 plans ... and so repeating the information (given how confusing it is) was worth it, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that some people envision switching to Lightroom (the cloud version) as having exactly the same Lightroom, all the features, but everything is now magically saved in the cloud, no problems life goes on like before. Well, that just isn't so. Lightroom is different. It doesn't have all the same features. Files are not organized the same, it is only possible to have a single catalog which the user doesn't really have what I consider direct access to. There is no print capability, images are not organized in the typical file structure that you may be accustomed to, and I feel that there is somewhat of a "barrier" between me and my images. It simply isn't as easy to work with images in Lightroom as it is to work with them in LrC.

But if your main goal is to be able to access images on your computer, your iPad, your mobile phone, and any other mobile device, and be able to edit those images on any of those devices and have those edits affect all the devices, then Lightroom might be a good choice for you. It's a great tool for those who are really into social media, in my opinion. But I consider Lightroom to be more of a "Lightroom lite". Whenever I use it it just feels like a toy.

Synchronization between devices doesn't seem to be 100% reliable. Image counts often seem to show discrepancies. Procedures that you may find common in the Lightroom you have been using just don't work anymore. Maybe these differences will disappear sometime in the future. Maybe you can adapt and tolerate the differences in the meantime. Personally Lightroom Classic is a much better choice for me. But everyone sees the programs differently, you will have to form your own opinion.

These are my personal observations and opinions. Others may have differing opinions. My main purpose for using Lightroom is for when I occasionally take an image using my iPhone on which I have the mobile Lightroom app installed. That image is automatically transferred to my Lightroom Classic, and that is where I do my editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate everyone's support and info. I now have confidence that I know how to work at home and away without losing my many hours of Lr keywording and organizing. I will: use the $9.99 "Photography Plan" (not the other $9.99 plan);  install LrC on an external hard drive; move my Lr 5 catalog file over to LrC; and back everything up locally (probably to a large hard drive that I'll keep in a safety deposit box). 

I should have asked for help months ago. All of you - please have a healthy and happy 2021! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate everyone's support and info. I now have confidence that I know how to work at home and away without losing my many hours of Lr keywording and organizing. I will: use the $9.99 "Photography Plan" (not the other $9.99 plan); install LrC on an external hard drive; move my Lr 5 catalog file over to LrC; and back everything up locally (probably to a large hard drive that I'll keep in a safety deposit box).

Perhaps the above is just imprecise writing, but you ought to be backing up everything FIRST (unless you have already done so). Then after you have LrC installed and working, you need to make regular and automated backups (not manual backups) of the catalog file and all the photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood, thanks. I already backup my catalog frequently and automatically backup everything via Carbonite, but will be adding a local hard drive backup for extra protection and redundancy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You DO NOT "Install LrC" on the External Drive.

LrC need to be installed on the main hard drive in each of the computrer you want to use it on.

You COPY the LrC CATALOG and ALL your images to the External drive.

Please Re-Read my posts and the one from @dj_paige  @Rob_Cullen  and @JP Hess 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not used to making stupid mistakes or sounding dumb . . . and I'm awfully glad you and others care enough to correct me when I need correcting.  

Thanks yet again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines