Highlighted

Converting presets to profiles | Calibration sliders not being included

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I have worked hard to build my own film presets. These rely heavily on the calibration sliders to work properly. Now, I'm trying to convert these to profiles, but it seems the calibration info is not carried over into the profile. Is there a way to fix this? The only workaround I see is to build a profile and then update the preset to include the new profile and calibration sliders. I'd rather have this all take place in the actual profile though. Seems to defeat the purpose otherwise. Thanks!

TOPICS
Presets or profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Converting presets to profiles | Calibration sliders not being included

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I have worked hard to build my own film presets. These rely heavily on the calibration sliders to work properly. Now, I'm trying to convert these to profiles, but it seems the calibration info is not carried over into the profile. Is there a way to fix this? The only workaround I see is to build a profile and then update the preset to include the new profile and calibration sliders. I'd rather have this all take place in the actual profile though. Seems to defeat the purpose otherwise. Thanks!

TOPICS
Presets or profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 12, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

As you've discovered, creative profiles don't include all develop settings:

johnrellis_1-1592078718606.png

Two alternatives to consider:

- Change your presets to use the HSL adjustments (which is likely a lot of work for you).

- Convert your presets to LUTs in the Prophoto RGB color space using the Export LUT plugin and then add the LUTs to your creative profiles. Update: This will only work well if you're using the profiles on non-raws. Due to limitations of LR and Camera Raw, it isn't possible to make LUTs that accurately reproduce the effects of presets on raws.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. I've gone ahead and purchased your plugin. I've created the LUT using ProPhoto and exported it in the defaut .cube format. Is there some special process for installing it? Trying to add it in Lr, it doesn't seem to recognise the format in order for me to select it. Cheers

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2020 0
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

You need to make a creative profile in Camera Raw in Photoshop:

johnrellis_0-1592082247272.png

Select the Color Lookup Table option, then in Table browse to the .cube you created. Remember to set Space to ProPhoto RGB. (Note that the LUT must be size 32 or smaller.)

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. Sorry for being a bit new to this and I can't seem to find any instructions anywhere.

I am working out of LR, going into ACR with a RAW file via PS as a smart object. 

Do I need to apply the preset again in ACR as well as select the LUT? Do I just need to have the one box you show here with the ProPhoto RGB space applied? I just tried running it both ways and it doesn't look right at all.

If there is an instruction page somewhere, please feel free to let me know. Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2020 0
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of any instructions for doing this.  If you made the LUT from the preset, then it should represent all the color transformations made by that preset. Thus, in ACR, you only select Color Lookup Table and the LUT you created.

If that's still not working for you, send an email to the Export LUT support address with one of the presets attached, and I'll verify the steps I'm describing produce a good LUT and then a good profile.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John. I submitted a ticket.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe and I followed up offline, and I belatedly remembered that, due to limitations in LR and Camera Raw, Export LUT (or any tool) can't make LUTs that accurately represent the colors of presets and develop settings when applied to raws. The procedure I outlined above for converting presets to profiles will only work well if you're applying the profiles to non-raws, not to raws.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0