• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy previous orientation while tethering?

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I often tether my Nikon D810 facing straight down for flat lay shoots, and the orientation that the camera believes it's in doesn't always match which way is really "up" in the photos. 

I'm using the "same as previous" setting to make each new shot match the edits from the one before it, but image rotation doesn't seem to be included in that. 

Is there a way to have LR copy the previous rotation adjustments for each new tethered import?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might suggest to check the Camera settings.

There are two settings in my D750 that affect photo rotation-

1. Rotation of the preview on camera monitor screen,

ScreenShot142.jpg

2. Recording of the orientation in the photo,

ScreenShot140.jpg

It is this second setting that I believe you need to turn 'off' in the camera menus.

I never see images (auto) rotating in Lightroom with my camera set to 'off'. If I use my camera on a copy stand to copy a photo, the photo needs to be in the same orientation as the camera, or I must rotate the preview in Lightroom.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, LR doesn't include rotation with "same as previous".  Wobertc's suggestion might be the best workaround.

Someone else asked the same question last week:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/help-lightroom-cc-tethering-will-not-rotate-per-quo...

I recommended to that person, and I recommend to you, to submit a feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom.

Product developers read everything posted there, but rarely participate here, which is primarily a user-to-user forum.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll want to make sure that the auto rotation is off within the camera and adjust manually in Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for these replies. I tried turning off the rotation in-camera settings, but that didn't really make a difference. The use case is that I mount the camera, then test shot, tweak the layout, test and tweak again, and again, etc. The stylist and I do that typically 30-50 times before finalizing the shot. The camera isn't bringing in a new random orientation each time; it's consistent, just "wrong," so I have to manually apply the same adjustment over and over. It seems like if  I can auto-apply the dozens of adjustments from the previous shot to the next one, it should also be able to auto-apply the manual rotation setting.  

I'll post in the other forum that was linked, too. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines