Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying is driving me nuts

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have asked this before, but this is still driving me nuts.  When copying files from an SD card onto an external drive via LR, it just isn't doing what I want.  Correct folders have been created, but when copying new files over, subfolders are being generated that I simply do not want.  A previous respondent suggested unchecking the "Into subfolder" box, but I have no idea what this means.  Instead, on the right side of the UI the required folder is checked, but when the import process starts new subfolders, labelled along date information, are created.  I simply do not want this last part to happen.

Please advise,

DC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two areas of the areas that have selections that can affect your import and where files are copied to, "file handling' and 'destination". See the screen capture of the right side of the import dialog box.

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 7.11.49 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but this does not help.  In short, I do not want any subfolders to be automatically generated; if I want, then I will create manually.  Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Destination panel, is an entry "Organize" which is currently set to "By Date". That is what is responsible for the dated subfolders.

It can also be set to "Original Folders" (matching the folders found in the source location). 

Or you can set "Into one folder" if you don't want any subfolders at all to be created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, that solved that.  Thank you, DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, one way to do that is to create the folder that you wish to copy the imported images within your folder structure. Then in the import dialog select in the destination, the option "into one folder" and move to select the folder in your HDD file structure.

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 8.32.38 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It took me ages to understand the Destination 'Dated Folder' options. A good blog article here-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/import-create-dated-folders/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines