• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying new camera file profiles into Lightroom 6.14

New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Lightroom since its beta version over a decade ago. The software vastly exceeds my photography needs because I tend to just make basic adjustments and this is why I stopped at 6.14. Actually version 3.0 was already enough for me.

But my question is how do I make new cameras work with LR? I want to make sure that it recognizes files from my Nikon Z6.

I have the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources

and there are subfolders for cameras and lenses but there is no folder for files. How to I download a file profile that would let me convert NEF files from the Nikon Z6 into DNG? And where to install it?

p.s.1- I know that I can buy a subscription to the newest version but I don't need all those new functions, plus I am an owner-type of person. I own my house, I own my car, I own my computer and own my cameras. I also like owning software so that I can use it whenever I want without the need to connect to some sort of servers or pay for it indefinitely.

p.s.2- I know that I can use DNG converter. I use it right now but this is a boring process so I would prefer to download a file profile and just use lightroom as it was designed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need the Adobe DNG Converter that will convert the Z6 raw images to DNG, and those can be imported into LR. Sorry it's boring, but its the only way to get Z6 raws into Lightroom 6.14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know but is there a way to import those files like the files from my other cameras? Like using the import dialog within LR by updating files responsible for the recognition of NEF files from newer cameras?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such thing exists. The ONLY way to read Z6 RAW files into Lightroom 6.14 is to use the DNG converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6.14 will only convert raw files to DNG natively if it already recognizes the original raw files. Consequently, for newer cameras it will be necessary for you to use the standalone DNG converter (free from Adobe) to first convert the images and then import those DNG files into Lightroom 6.14. As has been mentioned, that is the only alternative you have with Lightroom 6.14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I boought LR only a year before I changed my camera for a Nikon Z6 and I find it abusive to have received no other support than the tedious dng converter way. Besides, those dng files change part of the information raw files keep within. I feel really angry eith Adobe. You just want everybody change to that monthly pay system, and I don't need nor want to be paying for a service for all my life. You should give us another solution, so that our raw files could be directly read by LR 6.14

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They did, it's called DNG Converter. This free appplication enables you to convert your unsupported files to the DNG format that LrC 6.14 can import, thus allowing you to edit the Z6 files

The DNG Converter can be downloaded from

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you focus on the issue at hand you purchased your camera from Nikon the camera manufacturer and they would have provided you with the software to process the raw files from your camera model. Adobe provides an alternative process for rendering the raw files from digital cameras however the issue with your particular camera model the Z6 is that it was produced and released into the market after the last update to Lightroom 6 which was in Dec 2017.

There have been no further updates and will be no further updates. The raw files created by the Z6 is specific to that camera model. Other users have advised the alternative that is offered "free from Adobe". I see no need for you to be angry with Adobe.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines