Corrupt Catalogue File

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,  My catalogue file has become corrupt a week ago, and I' ve been back and forth with Adobe support since then without success.   I was on the phone with them again today and the tech worked on my computer for several hours clearing caches,  etc etc,  but still it is corrupt and not working.  It ended with him telling me to create a new catalogue file, then we lost connection.  

I don't want just make a new catalogue and loose all my work, so any suggestions on how to resolve this would be much appreciated.   I have made backups,  but have not had any success restoring them.  Also,  one of the techs suggested that Adobe could repair a corrupt file and took a copy in order to do so.  Unfortunately I never heard back on that effort.

Any advice on how to get lightroom working without loosing all my work would be much appreciated !

thank you,

Tim

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Advocate ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be patient... The person who might be able to work on your catalog might be off for the weekend.

What version of Lightroom Classic (LrC) are you running? What is the format of the catalog backups? Are they the zipped files created by the LrC backup process?

Kenneth Seals

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kenneth,   

I'm using Lightroom Classic updated today to version 9.4.  Tried an uncompressed backup catalog file and it worked !  I guess I just need to somehow make this the default file that opens when I start Lightroom ?

Also,  I wonder if my use of OneDrive causes glitches with Lightroom.  I have 73,000 photos in the catalogue going back 20 years, and have it set up so that only the current year is stored locally by OneDrive.  

any further comments you have would be appreciated. 

thank you,

Tim

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got a catalog working

I use a MacBook Pro for travel, and a Win 10 desktop as my main processing machine. I have never tried one drive or anyother online storage option. I assume your catalog is on your fastest local drive where it should be.

I would be worried about internet dropouts that you would not necessarily be aware of, but could cause issues. Perhaps others with expericnce with online storage can comment. I keep all my files and catalog on local drives with many backups, including a set I can take offsite. In addition to the LrC catalog backup function, I manually backup the catalog to two seperate hard drives, just in case.

Kenneth Seals

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Tim5D66 LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the feedback on this KR.  It seems to be working okay now but I plan on being more careful about where working files are stored as well as regular backups.  I plan to keep them all local for working on, but with backups being made to the cloud via the OneDrive file syncing. Certainly interested in hearing what others have done in regards to cloud backups via OneDrive or other, though.  

thanks for your help. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines