Highlighted

Corrupted Catalog message

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting a "corrupt catalog error" with increasing frequency over the last 4 months or so.  It got to the point that it was causing problems on nearly each session. LightRoom could not repair the catalog for last few incidents on the first try and it was taking about an hour to run repair and get somewhat operable.

I have a fairly large library of about 25,000 images so I know there will be performance issues but this was causing the program to be almost unusable.  A key event was that I was getting the same messages in video editor "Final Cut Pro".  I suspected my external hard drive a Western Digital My Book Pro was the problem.  I sucked it up and ordered a new Western Digital G-Raid with Thunderbolt (a bit pricey - but I didn't want to lose my images!) for my iMac and voila - problem was solved.  I has been working great for about a month now.  Have not had a single issue since!

I might not have found the error as quick had it not been for similar issues with Final Cut Pro..

Topics

Crash or freeze, Import and export, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Corrupted Catalog message

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting a "corrupt catalog error" with increasing frequency over the last 4 months or so.  It got to the point that it was causing problems on nearly each session. LightRoom could not repair the catalog for last few incidents on the first try and it was taking about an hour to run repair and get somewhat operable.

I have a fairly large library of about 25,000 images so I know there will be performance issues but this was causing the program to be almost unusable.  A key event was that I was getting the same messages in video editor "Final Cut Pro".  I suspected my external hard drive a Western Digital My Book Pro was the problem.  I sucked it up and ordered a new Western Digital G-Raid with Thunderbolt (a bit pricey - but I didn't want to lose my images!) for my iMac and voila - problem was solved.  I has been working great for about a month now.  Have not had a single issue since!

I might not have found the error as quick had it not been for similar issues with Final Cut Pro..

Topics

Crash or freeze, Import and export, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much for sharing your experience. Catalog corruption is most often due to a failing drive.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines